Continuous auto reverse DC motor2

kusmanf

Joined Jul 25, 2011
New to all this. My first post.
I have a 120VAC to 24V Transformer that I want to power a 24VDC motor.
I want this motor to have a main power on/off switch, but once it is turned on I want it to run in one direction until it hits a limit, then reverse automatically and return to the other limit, and then automatically reverse again continuously until I turn off the power. What switches and relays do I need and how do I connect them?
I have developed a relay circuit to work with 24V DC which works well practically. I have introduced delay relays to overcome relay chatter. You can ask me any question regarding this circuit.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
To avoid undue stress on a motor and also the supply, especially if running at full voltage at the time of reversal, it would be prudent to include a time delay to allow/detect zero rpm before reversal occurs.
In some cases, depending on mechanism used, a mechanical reversal takes place and allows one continuous direction of the motor.
Have you looked at wiper motor mechanism methods?
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
To avoid undue stress on a motor and also the supply, especially if running at full voltage at the time of reversal, it would be prudent to include a time delay to allow/detect zero rpm before reversal occurs.
In some cases, depending on mechanism used, a mechanical reversal takes place and allows one continuous direction of the motor.
Max.
Wiper motors don’t reverse, right? The reversing action of the wiper is purely mechanical. The cam has a cut-out where a limit switch allows the blades to park in a down position.

At least the wiper motors I know of. Used them all the time in mechanisms for Haunted House props.

to old

Joined Jul 28, 2021
I have developed a relay circuit to work with 24V DC which works well practically. I have introduced delay relays to overcome relay chatter. You can ask me any question regarding this circuit.
hello KUSMANF what i need is the same wiring diagram but with out the delay relays ,. thank you TO OLD

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Every design should be customized to reflect the desired outcome,
and of course, the hardware / Motor chosen should be capable of
achieving the desired outcome without unnecessary stress.

It's a "SYSTEM",
and it's exact purpose, and operating conditions, must be specified FIRST.

Relays, being mechanical devices, do wear-out, and/or, require maintenance,
Properly specified Electronic Components don't,
(with the possible exception of some Capacitors).

With a little bit of study, simple Electronic-Circuits are not difficult to understand.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
That's what I was thinking. Depending on how far a travel the TS wants, a wiper motor can achieve a back and forth motion as may be desired.

If I may ask - how far in length is the travel and what are you lifting or moving? (weight wise) Do you NEED smooth speed of travel in each direction? Or can you tolerate a sinusoidal motion where at the start of travel it moves slower but rapidly accelerates to full speed as it crosses the mid point of travel, then slows to a stop and reverses direction again? That's what Max and I are thinking; can you tolerate such motion or do you need a constant speed in one direction, then a sudden and rapid reversal into the opposite direction? Note, the sudden and rapid reversal will be extremely hard on the motor and on the power source. Not to mention the stresses on the mechanical portions of your project.