Sheltering in place,

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It is official, if you live in Dallas county and don't have a job that provides an essential service like groceries or medical you must stay home. Of couse, I've been doing that for more than a week, while I might survive this virus, several close friends (including my room mate) most certainbly wouldn't. So I hide, aas if their are demons stalking me or mine and look for things to occupy my time and pray for a miracle. I just got a new to me netbook that fits the bill nicely. I am not fond of Win 10, but I'm going to learn it it seems. Oh, well. or is that hell?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
From what I've seen in the news, shelter in place still allows you to go out as long as you follow the social distancing rules. Jogging, walking the dog, grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, going out to get takeout, are all still allowed.

New York (don't know if it's state or city) considers liquor stores to be essential businesses and they're still opened.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
From what I've seen in the news, shelter in place still allows you to go out as long as you follow the social distancing rules. Jogging, walking the dog, grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, going out to get takeout, are all still allowed.

New York (don't know if it's state or city) considers liquor stores to be essential businesses and they're still opened.
Same with Massachusetts. We are in a shutdown. All non-essential businesses have closed. Liquor stores are considered essential!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My employer took care of it. I am now required to stay home except to get groceries or medical care. No wiggle room in the order. Technically I can't go plow the roads if we get hit again with another snow storm, but if it's needed I will and I think I can make it fly since I would normally not expect to come into contact with anyone while doing so. If I need to help get someone unstuck, I'll do so while keeping as much distance as I can, which actually shouldn't be too hard.

On the upside, I can now legitimately shove what few errands we need to make off onto my wife! The kidlet has been having sleepovers with one of the other kids on the mountain (so we are thinking of our two families as essentially being a single family as far as quarantine is concerned). It's making life much more bearable for everyone -- especially since our kid is usually over there because the other parents say both of their kids tend to act better when our kidlet is around. So guess who doesn't have to do shuttling duty any more?!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Oregon has decided to publish a list of what must close instead of what can stay open.

The current exclusion list.
These businesses must close*:

Amusement parks

Aquariums

Arcades

Art galleries, which are open without appointments

Boutiques

Bowling alleys

Childcare facilities that cannot limit children to 10 who are the same every day. Order is in place from March 25 through April 28.

Cosmetic shops

Fraternal organizations facilities

Furniture stores

Gyms and fitness studios

Hair salons and barber shops

Hookah bars

Indoor party places, including jumping gyms and laser tag

Jewelry shops and boutiques, unless they use pick-up or delivery services

Malls, both indoor and outdoor

Medical and facial spas, day spas and massage therapy services

Museums

Nail and tanning salons

Non-tribal card rooms

Outdoor sports courts

Playgrounds

Pools

Private and public campgrounds

Senior activity centers

Social and private clubs

Skate parks

Skating rinks

Ski resorts

State executive branch offices and buildings “shall close to the maximum extent possible”

Tattoo and piercing parlors

Tennis clubs

Theaters

Yoga studios

Youth clubs

*Note: If a business isn’t listed above, they may remain open -- as long as customers and employees can maintain six feet of distance from others.

“This distinction from closing all businesses except for those categorized as essential as mandated in other states, aims to minimize unintended consequences and add clarity for businesses who can adjust their business models to accommodate vital social distancing measures.”
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/oregon-stay-at-home-order-where-can-i-go.html

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/23/liquor-stores-dispensaries-closing-denver-shelter-in-place/
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock changed course drastically Monday evening after announcing earlier in the day that liquor stores and recreational marijuana dispensaries would close across the city in an attempt to slow the spread of coronavirus.

His office made a new announcement around 5 p.m. via Twitter, saying that liquor and marijuana stores “with extreme physical distancing in place” will be exempt from the mandated citywide closure of non-essential businesses starting at 5 p.m. Tuesday and continuing through April 10.

The definition of extreme is six feet, or the normal amount of social distancing that’s now recommended, the city clarified.

Hancock’s shift came just hours after he had deemed liquor stores and recreational marijuana dispensaries non-essential businesses, as opposed to groceries, gas stations and healthcare operations.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sorry the Covids-19 is so active. I'm currently overnighting in my motorhome a couple hours west of DFW, and will be heading through DFW tomorrow after a quick stop at Walmart. I'm trying to get back to Missouri to weather thru this virus. At least I've managed to stock up on most supplies.

By the way, 1Chance and I have come to yge end of our song. Divorce will be final April 13th. We needed each other a great deal in the beginning, and we are both much better off because of it ... but it was time to call it a wrap. 1Chance will be living in Arizona in a 55+ community that we found last year. It's really perfect for her, and it will extend her life significangly.

I have wanted to wander through the wonderland that is our USA for years, and I finally have the means and equipment to do so. I have a few time-critical activities to accomplish, and then I will simply enjoy the journey.

SgtWookie

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What sucks is the weather. Cold and wet with grey skies. All I want is a few nice days with sunshine and nice warmer springlike temperatures even in the 60s would be great. Good enough I could quarantine myself to my bike and get some cruising in.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
We should pray for more cold, wet, grey skies.
This will keep everyone indoors at home.:D
You're sure getting your wish around here! Snowed again last night. At least we FINALLY got enough of a break to get the last ten feet of our VOIP landline installed -- we've trying since October and we've only been without landline service for nearly a year.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
So far it seems the 2 electronic shops that carry the AWG I want, are both closed. Hopefully this all goes away soon.

1 thing's for sure, Planet Earth is like a giant game of Civilizations, I wish I had a cool job in some big-shot agency or corporation, like in a movie or video game.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So far it seems the 2 electronic shops that carry the AWG I want, are both closed. Hopefully this all goes away soon.
Buy online; that's how I buy the vast majority of my parts and supplies. The lines are so bad at Costco that my Wife has started ordering some items online. Can't get toilet paper and other things that people are hoarding, or most perishable items, but it beats the crazy lines and frantic/paranoid people.

I had to go out during one of the senior shopping hours at two stores before I could find toilet paper and paper towels. My Wife hadn't been able to buy those items during her weekly shopping trips for over a month. I saw many people wearing masks and/or gloves. They're too uninformed to know that improper use can increase their potential exposure, older people are unlikely to be asymptomatic, and that if they practiced social distancing and hand cleanliness they'd likely be okay.

I was expecting to be harassed because I don't look like a senior citizen. Thankfully the weirdos kept to themselves.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Posted by a friend who works in the grocery store

From employees at the Superstore!!! A must read!!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!
Just because we are open doesn't mean we are here for you to spend your time BROWSING around. We are designated as an ESSENTIAL SERVICE. We are not here for you because you have nothing else to do. We are not here for you because you feel like getting out of the house for awhile. We are in a STATE OF EMERGENCY. This is NOT A VACATION! Every customer who walks in our doors PUTS US AT RISK. We really don't want to be here, but we realize that we are needed. YOU don't see how many times a day we wash and sanitize our hands to try to keep ourselves safe. YOU don't see our upset co-workers in the break room struggling to keep their composure. YOU don't see our spouses who worry about us every minute we are at work and who are our strength when we get home. We have our jobs to do and we realize the IMPORTANCE OF OUR JOB TO YOU. The LEAST you can do is come in with a sense of purpose, get what you need, and get yourselves HOME.

Please share, maybe we can get the message out there.
Please copy this and then paste it on your timelines.