Take off Voltage from Capacitor

JulesP

Joined Dec 7, 2018
Hi there,

In the circuit below I am trying to take just 12V off a capacitor that is rated at 16V (can't find 12V ones easily) and which is fed from a 25V one in a chain and I am querying the best way to do this.

My first thought is to use a potential divider to tap off the required voltage but am wondering how to calculate its rating since some of the lots volts will have to be dissipated through the resistor. I'm guessing that the maximum current that might be drawn down from the string of 100uf (25V) caps might be 5A. I'm just trying to get the principle and calculations right. Also, is the 16V cap the right way round to draw off any charge/power?

I'd rather not waste power in the resistor but don't know another way to step down the voltage. Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Voltage Reduction.jpeg

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Your two 25 volt capacitors are unlikely to share the 50V evenly because one has a load across it, resulting in one seeing excess voltage, which is likely to reduce the reliability of the circuit. In most commercial designs voltage applied to capacitors are usually less than 80% of their rating, and often much less.

There may be an easier way of getting what you are trying to achieve. Can you tell us more about what this circuit is supposed to do? For example, how much current to you need from the 12V output and what is the nature of the load -does it need constant voltage, does the current drain vary with time, and if so how much and how fast? Things like that will help us evaluate your solution and make suggestions.

JulesP

Joined Dec 7, 2018
The 12V is to supply a storage battery (car battery) and so perhaps the voltage might be better at 12.5V. As for current one might hope that this is fairly constant but it can vary with whatever is being supplied from the 50V side (which is being supplied in turn by a resonant circuit). The battery I would have thought is fairly tolerant to changes in supply current and the 12.5V could vary a little so I imagine 12-13.5V.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The 12V is to supply a storage battery (car battery) and so perhaps the voltage might be better at 12.5V. As for current one might hope that this is fairly constant but it can vary with whatever is being supplied from the 50V side (which is being supplied in turn by a resonant circuit). The battery I would have thought is fairly tolerant to changes in supply current and the 12.5V could vary a little so I imagine 12-13.5V.
Hi,

AC to a car battery?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
This is all DC as far as I am aware.
It won't work. You can't use capacitors (practical ones) as a voltage divider for that type of circuit drawing current in the battery charging range. Yes, the voltage will half in theory due to the division of charge Q with capacitors and a high resistance load like a DMM as a switching transient to charge the caps. The two caps DC divider will work only in an ideal world.

JulesP

Joined Dec 7, 2018
I’m trying to charge the 12V battery with the energy relayed to the 25V capacitors by a resonant circuit that is not shown here.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I’m trying to charge the 12V battery with the energy relayed to the 25V capacitors by a resonant circuit that is not shown here.
Show us the full circuit. I would be much better to tap the oscillating energy magnetically with a transformer for a direct conversion to the needed voltage.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014

Hi,

Due to the capacitive coupling in the circuit this very likely will not work. That's because no matter what the shape of the AC wave is the average will always be zero. It's even worse than that though because on the positive half cycle it will charge somewhat and then on the negative half cycle it will discharge by at least if not more than it charged by on the positive half cycle. That means that over time the battery would actually discharge even more.

What you need then is some rectification on the output. This should help but as nsaspook asked you should show more of your circuit. If you dont have any rectification though you will need to add some in any case because to charge a battery you need a DC current not AC and even if that DC is pulsating it should still work.
Also, that DC average should be above zero and it should never go below zero for any time.

JulesP

Joined Dec 7, 2018
Here is the full circuit as I have currently drawn it and based on studies and experiments done by others over the last 100+ years.

I am testing the idea of interacting with the Schumman Resonance of the Earth's atmosphere as there is a huge amount of electrical potential and activity between the surface of the Earth and the ionosphere, the same source as expressed in lightening. Some of this is in the form of standing waves of electricity known as Schumann Resonances (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances). I have also attached a US patent for extracting such energy but there may be other simpler methods of doing the same.

The basic concept in my circuit is that these resonances can set up a voltage across a series of LEDs and this voltage can be fed, via banks of capacitors, to a storage unit. If the Earth connections, acting as a sort of ariel, are set up right then useful energy can be extracted.

The capacitor near the bottom right is 16V since that is a commonly available value. If I wanted to use a car battery instead of a Lithium unit then I would want 12-13V there instead, hence the query to reduce the voltage.

Whether or not the whole idea seems strange, as a retired scientist (not electrical engineering) and with a lot of new time on his hands due to a small packet of DNA with a regal sounding name, I'm focusing my attention on some interesting and potentially useful experiments. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

EM Resonance Circuit.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

JulesP

Joined Dec 7, 2018
Ok. Caps in series are like resistors in parallel. As for resonant parts, true there are no LC components but I had heard that the LEDs in connection with the ariel form a resonant circuit. I’m seeing what will work and what won’t.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
As for resonant parts, true there are no LC components but I had heard that the LEDs in connection with the ariel form a resonant circuit.
Whoever told you that is either stupid, or insane, or ignorant. Or all three. Or, possibly, he's just some sick SOB who gets his kicks feeding BS to impressionable rubes and laughing at their gullibility.

I’m seeing what will work and what won’t.
Then go build your "circuit" and observe for yourself what happens-- or what doesn't.

You might as well, as you clearly aren't receptive to any of the real-world advice you're getting here.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Ok. Caps in series are like resistors in parallel. As for resonant parts, true there are no LC components but I had heard that the LEDs in connection with the ariel form a resonant circuit. I’m seeing what will work and what won’t.
I'm just saying ....
Around here 'resonance energy' in a circuit like this means 'free energy'.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I suspect this is a “free energy” circuit.

I am testing the idea of interacting with the Schumman Resonance of the Earth's atmosphere as there is a huge amount of electrical potential and activity between the surface of the Earth and the ionosphere, the same source as expressed in lightening. Some of this is in the form of standing waves of electricity known as Schumann Resonances
in connection with the ariel form a resonant circuit
I suspect he meant aerial, or antenna. It sounds like he is trying to collect the energy from the earth’s “resonance” in order to charge a battery. Good luck.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You will probably find it better to follow the description in the patent since you probably have not worked with this system before. After you get it working you can try various modifications to see whether you can make improvements (that you can patent and try to sell to the inventors or current assignee).

I suspect this is a “free energy” circuit.
(some text removed for clarity
More like energy harvesting, which is a legitimate field of research.

Last edited: