Ripping off a fume extractor on a budget.

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Basically iv got to stage in my electrolysis experiments to produce hydrogen / oxygen gas, where the amount of gas produced is enough for me too worry about safety, as they was in a well vented area but still indoors iv been keeping experiments to about 30seconds and small scale. I haven't lit it for obvious reasons. So iv been clearing out a old storage shed, its not ideal, a enclosed brick box, but its the only outside area i have which isn't communal . So im wanting to build a extractor like the one below.

DF071 Arm.jpg

I spent about 50quid on all the bits, the extractor fan is a 12v inline bilge blower, used on boats to remove engine exhaust fumes , also it claims the motor will not spark, A large old lamp i already had, A tumble dryer metal hose. also as the only way too get power in there is using a long ass extension lead, which i dont want to be running 220v, I dont want to use solar, as the area isnt great so dont want to draw attention to my shed. so will be looking at a 12v battery in a box, if any one got any ideas how to build one, that would be great. The blower is 4a 12v, and the two 12v gu10s pull 1.6A combined. And il need to make a more specialized box for the electrolysis cells. 12v-36v.

heres a quick and dirty pic of the bits, you can easily put it all together in your head. if anyone see any issues with the design or ways to improve, please point it out, i dont offend easy. The hose will be cut in half, with the fan unit attached to the wall.

extractor.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the only gasses that you are producing are hydrogen and oxygen then the challenge is less because they are not toxic. The only need is to keep the concentration below some level. So a vent blower like the ones in a computer power supply could work well. The situation is not a toxic challenge and so venting is all that you need. BUT first you need to be certain that there is nothing else in that gas beside H2 and O2. Since wh have no information about the nature of the reaction, or action, there is no way to offer a useful comment.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I've had great luck with Fantech brand exhaust fans, like this one:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-FR110-FR-Series-Round-Inline-Exhaust-Fan-4-Duct-167-CFM

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-Inline-Duct-Fans-18113000

They have been extremely reliable. I used one to keep the gasoline fumes down in my garage for many years, and it has been outside blowing dry air under my boat cover for a few more years. It even filled with rain water (mounted sideways, hole in hose), I poured the water out and it kept right on working. I've had a second one keeping an electronics cabinet cool for several years. Very high quality.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
I've done a lot of work with electrolysis ... care to share more details of what you're doing ...what electrodes ....

Realistically explosions are not ever going to happen unless you are putting in many KWs of power ....

1 KWhr can only produce 20gms of H2 at optimum efficiency ...realistically 10 gms ... even in that enclosed space in the picture 10gms per hour would dilute with the 10 kgs of enclosed air and would never form an explosive mix ...

H2 becomes explosive only at above 18% in air ... so if you sealed all the ventilation holes ,sealed the gaps around the door ... put in 10 KW of power for electrolysis , continuously , perhaps after a week it could be dangerous , but I doubt it , H2 will quickly escape through the porous bricks quicker than you could ever make it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
As I looked at the one photo of the room that you are using, or intending to use, it does appear that only the area with those vent holes and the red arrow pointing to it is available for venting. Given the amount of pressure drop that you would have through those holes , probably a flange similar to the one shown will be a good choice. You will need to have the exhaust blower near the opening so that your ducting will be at a bit less than ambient pressure, and all leakage will be INTO the duct, not out. I had missed the part about it being a brick shed, it looks a lot like the rooms below a front porch in homes from a bygone era here in the US. Then the remark about running 220 volts reminded me that it is in the UK. And what is the source of power for your electrolysis operation? That should be able to power the vent fan as well. And once again, are you certain that H2 and O2 are the only gasses being produced?
And one more consideration is that you will need an entry point for the air to replace the air that you are discharging.

One way to reduce the power needs will be to use LED lighting instead of incandescent lights. Less heat and chances of sparking as well.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I have produced 2HO (HHO) in small quantities before. I've detonated it as well. The purpose of generating 2HO was for the purpose of experimentation with powering a small gas motor. It was a failed experiment. The amount of energy required to generate 2HO was greater than the energy produced by the gas itself. I've also done bigger experiments but because of the terms of service and community guidelines - as well as good enough sense as to not give a person the means to harm themselves (not on purpose) I will not be discussing the far more dangerous part of 2HO production.

But I must admit I'm confused at the purpose of generating 2HO - or just hydrogen gas and then venting it out safely. Why would you do that? What's to be achieved by generating hydrogen and oxygen gasses and venting them away safely?

I can understand and agree with the need for safety. Hydrogen is lighter than air and is quickly dispersed into the atmosphere. Being such a small molecule it's hard to keep it in a sealed area. A brick bunker would probably defuse as much hydrogen as you can produce in something the size of a large thermos bottle (thermos bottle used as reference only, I've never used such a device in my experiments). But if you want to vent it you're absolutely allowed to do so. The likelihood of an explosion is small. However, the energy released can be extremely energetic. Early experiments using a small can the size of baked beans produced a foam layer diameter of about 2 1/2 inches and a thickness of about 3/8 of an inch produced an ear ringing pop. As mentioned, I've ratcheted up my experiments to produce something you ONLY want to do outside AWAY from all structures - especially with glass windows facing the point of explosion, the concussion can break windows.

Finally, on the note of safety, continue to keep it in your mind as a first priority. The only other thing I'm left wondering is why you're producing the gas and then venting it away. Maybe you don't want to share that with us - that's OK. However, if you hope to improve gas mileage on a vehicle - the best thing you can do is leave things well enough alone. The energy required to produce the gas will offset any gain in mileage you might hope to attain. Plus, at the quantities necessary to have any hopeful affect on a vehicle will greatly exceed safety concerns as you'll be driving around in a vehicle just waiting to explode. I know about unintended explosions too. Fortunately in my early experiments I kept it quite small, and the unexpected backfire explosions did not cause much harm. Few bruises and a lot of luck nothing went in my eye.

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
I dont mind sharing, at the moment im more interested in visually seeing if gas is being produced by the cell , as my main goal is a tap water based system. But heres one with some electrolyte, well i used the word electrolosis as 2ho is a touchy subject

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
At the rate gas is being produced in the video, that amount of gas would never have any chance of accumulating to any kind of dangerous level. And it's quite small compared to the devices I've built. And please don't ask for pictures, I won't share them. I have a much larger unit I began to build but decided not to pursue it because it's just not feasible.

As for using plain tap water - I never found anything that would make that work. I had to add "something" to make it work. That "something" is something you probably already know of. Regardless - water alone won't work. And when I DID add something it left a residue at the bottom of the tank that had to be dealt with. Cleaned out. So any design you build needs to have a clean out built into the design. And I never ran any of my units for long except for one unit, and it got hot enough to melt the plastic I used to make it. And no - it wasn't "plastic".

RIKRIK

Joined Oct 11, 2019
Well i found that adding a stainless washer inbetween the negative and positive leads between the cells, has an effect where it will work with distilled water no electrolyte.

Im not sure what would be added. Can i tease it out of you, but at the moment it isnt too effiencient but if you want to experiment plans are in the video.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, that video should take about eight weeks to fully electrolyze all that water. Assuming you can keep all the plates in the water.

Why are you messing with this?

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
A few words on HOH ... There are quiet a lot of people involved in this ... At first glance the whole idea appears ludicrous... It's using electrolysis to split water and feeding the small amount of gas produced into an internal combustion engine which is running on petrol ... It's suggested there is a big gain in mileage .... Anyone with a basic education in physics / chemistry knows this is not possible ( the electricity comes from the car alternator) ... obviously there can be no gain , just a loss ..and this was my position until I discovered about sonoluminescence ....

It's being suggested that fusion is occurring to give the extra energy ..Moray King explains it all ....

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Accurate measurement of total power input and total power output will be able to allow the truth to be discovered. The facts are that systems do not exceed 100% efficiency, which is often ignored in some claims. Water electrolyzers that utilize cavitation to improve performance make sense, but including the energy for producing the cavitation may change the picture. Reported efficiencies of over 100% indicate an error in the analysis.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It's using electrolysis to split water and feeding the small amount of gas produced into an internal combustion engine which is running on petrol
It's almost as bad as the guy at ETO wanting to power a negative ion generator to create ozone, O3, near his intake to get more power!?