Which Scope Recommendation

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
I am looking to upgrade my old Owon (PDS5022S) portable DSO. It's old, old enough that some new names have entered into the mix since then.
Asking here for some recommendations. I'll give a few metrics I am after.
1) Portable, so it has a internal batt
2) 100Mhz 2ch
3) 1GS/s DSO with enough memory to store a few 1-2sec captures
4) Has FFT function
5) Budget - $450

Nice to haves:
1) Be nice if it had remote access software from PC, for controls & display (via wifi or BT or USB, etc), and works good with Windows 10.
2) 100MHz 4ch, or 200MHz 2ch, or 200MHz 4ch
3) 2GS/s DSO
4) Able to add in a SD memory card for additional storage ability

The names that keep popping up are:
GW Instek
Keysight
Rigol
Siglent

I have not used any of them so I have no idea which ones are most user friendly, which are least problematic, etc etc.
Any suggestions for me to look at?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Hi DC_Kid
I sell Siglent into the NZ market so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Also I am frequently asked for model selection guidance based on a list of 'must haves' like you have done. Thanks, it helps a lot.

A model that fits nearly all your requirements is SDS1104X-E and as it uses two 1 GSa/s ADC's, each with 14Mpts of memory support.
It's just over your budget unfortunately @$ 499 and the features it doesn't have you require are:
1) Portable, so it has a internal batt

1)
As most DSO's use a SMPS they will run on DC but up near their minimum rated AC voltage but some will run a bit lower.
Sorry I don't have a minimum DC figure for SDS1kX-E models.

Explain what you really need this for and why USB is not suitable ?

If it must be truly portable maybe a handheld DSO is better suited to your needs.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
I could likely stretch budget to $500.
I would like it portable because I use it for everything, from benchtop to garage for automotive work, etc. My old Owon has a internal batt so its truly portable.

As for memory, I said SD card but it can be USB. As example, I could front a 500GB SSD with usb iface & cable, but SD card is just faster and better integrated, etc. Using USB stick is doable. This is just for storing captures, etc.

Handheld might work for me if it can be linked to PC for controls and display, the typical handheld screen size is fairly small though. If I venture into handheld realm then I might also be looking at the DSO's that require a PC to work, etc.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I could likely stretch budget to $500.
I would like it portable because I use it for everything, from benchtop to garage for automotive work, etc. My old Owon has a internal batt so its truly portable.
I get that but it's not like we drag around a 10kg CRO these days and they were called portable. :rolleyes:
Instead the modern bench DSO is just some 2.5kg and we can place them on a towel on car body paintwork and run a mains lead to them with no worries.
As for memory, I said SD card but it can be USB. As example, I could front a 500GB SSD with usb iface & cable, but SD card is just faster and better integrated, etc. Using USB stick is doable. This is just for storing captures, etc.
With the model mentioned the options we have for data I/O are LAN, WiFi, USB and USB stick but only USB stick and saving Reference waveforms are possible locally however Reference waveforms are only saved to the unit and their data is not available for download later however they can be grabbed as a .png screenshot.
LAN and WiFi have the advantage of being able to access the scopes internal webserver in which you have full remote control and the ability to do screen captures and download waveform data files for post processing or using within programs like Excel.
Handheld might work for me if it can be linked to PC for controls and display, the typical handheld screen size is fairly small though. If I venture into handheld realm then I might also be looking at the DSO's that require a PC to work, etc.
I used to have one of Siglents SHS810 100 MHz handheld DSO's bought for personal use and to use as a demo however with their cost vs what a modern DSO can offer there's no contest IMHO. If you travel for work and must lug along a DSO maybe but for all other capability a compact modern DSO wins hands down.