LCD Screen

Dseng

Joined Jan 13, 2016
The following LCD screen just came out of my DMM. It wasn't soldered to anything. I've never seen anything like this before. How does it work, and how do I put it back together.
20191218_155600.jpg
Dseng_20191218_155626_c.jpg
Dseng_20191218_155631_c.jpg
Dseng_20191218_155637_c.jpg
Dseng_20191218_161705_c.jpg

Moderators note : reduced images to their essentials

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are two conductive elastomeric strips on the two connectors. These are called zebra strips.
Just put the LCD back on to the circuit board with the zebra strips intact lined up with the gold plated pads. Alignment is not super critical.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Those are "zebra" connectors. Basically an elastomer that is segmented with thinner portions of lower resistance elastomer (e.g., carbon filed). LCD's require very low currents, so the difference in conductivity is sufficient.

They are very difficult to replace and get every segment working again in my limited experience. Extreme cleanliness (no lint or oil) and some wetting agent (e.g., isopropyl alcohol, water, or hydrocarbon) helps.

EDIT: That reply was written when there was only one reply to a duplicate thread, That thread was apparently moved. I got an error, found the new thread and posted here. My apologies if I am repeating what others have said.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Many modern meters use this method and they can be brought back to life fairly easily in most cases. Cleanliness, alignment and proper tension seem to be the most important pieces to getting them to work properly. Clean the contacts on both sides with an eraser and isopropyl alcohol as mentioned. Ensure both pieces are back in their respective cases and aligned properly. The case should also provide the proper tension when reassembled. Cleanliness is the biggest factor here