PCB Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmateik

Joined Dec 10, 2019
Good Morning,

I'm trying to build an inverter welder that has a 400 amp output using both AC and DC while using the 120volt wall outlet I have the parts That I want to use in mind, and I need these parts connected to the PCB I'm looking for advice they are as follows:

1) 32 bit 64 pin microcontroller
2) 12 volt Gas solenoid for the welders shielding gas
3) 24 volt Roller motor for MiG welder electrode.
4) 3-5 volt tiny 1 inch lcd display
5) Four 5volt rotary encoders to adjusts the settings of the welder.
6) 32 pin 5 volt 7 inch oled display.

I plan on using the C++ coding language to do this. I imagine fifty percent of all electronic engineering and PCB design involves taking power that cannot use in its current voltage rating and either increasing it or increasing it to power that we can use run the electronics we want.

My challenge now is getting help to get into the fine print of the PCB design such as capacitor, resistor component placement and the math needed to get the right answer. I have a crude schematic attached for your review

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
400 A @ 30V OCV is 12,000 W. can your wall socket provide more than 100A to account for inefficiencies continuously?

As for your schematic, there are some important details missing. Can you provide those so others can guide you in the layout?

nmateik

Joined Dec 10, 2019
400 A @ 30V OCV is 12,000 W. can your wall socket provide more than 100A to account for inefficiencies continuously?

As for your schematic, there are some important details missing. Can you provide those so others can guide you in the layout?
For the inefficiencies I don't know. I do know that inverter welders usually use 4 aluminum Electrolytic capacitors in series to create the power and provide consistency of it while welding. I'm trying to figure out how large of a capacitor/s do I need to get 400 amps of output.

What details am I missing on the schematic? This is what I'm trying to figure out. I know there's a breaker immediately following the power cable from the wall into the machine. From there to convert AC to DC I need a 4 bridge rectifier of a size that I need help to figure out. The welder will weld both currents one at a time obviously. so there would have to be a switch that would turn one on and the other one off. What I really need help with is the pcb and where to place and voltage regulators and components.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008

nmateik

Joined Dec 10, 2019
This appears to be your third thread on the same subject. Previous threads:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/rotary-encoder-question.165535/
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitor.165459/

You seem to think the capacitors in series "create" the power.

Can you provide a link to the design you are referencing. Lincoln design (posted in your second thread) does not seem to show those power-producing capacitors.

Not even close to the same topic. Here's a link of some one doing it. his set up is the same as any inverter welder. the Lincoln schematic isn't complete and is missing information.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You are mixing two very different types of welders. Your link in post #6 is to a transformerless continuous arc welder. That is probably against the TOS for this site.

In post #5 you show a capacitor discharge type of welder. Those are not continuous arc and are used mostly for spot welding of thin materials.

Are you clear on those differences? Which one do you want to build?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Never mind the PCB -- you don't even have a rough sketch or bill of materials for this design. You have a heavy lift including a determination the suitability of using household 120 VAC service for this device. I think you are in way over your head, because you don't even have a clearly stated set of requirements so that you or anybody else can tell what "done" means.

nmateik

Joined Dec 10, 2019
You are mixing two very different types of welders. Your link in post #6 is to a transformerless continuous arc welder. That is probably against the TOS for this site.

In post #5 you show a capacitor discharge type of welder. Those are not continuous arc and are used mostly for spot welding of thin materials.

Are you clear on those differences? Which one do you want to build?

In all the professional inverter welders on the market obviously not the ones in the videos as that was a demonstration of there existence in creation of a welding machine. They all have large capacitors in series to make them work, which are more than likely used to smooth out the arc. just before it leaves the positive terminal. I'm trying to figure out how big of a one I need in order to achieve a 400 amp output or not disrupt it. I also need to figure out the performance capability of the inverter I'll need as well.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
In all the professional inverter welders on the market obviously not the ones in the videos as that was a demonstration of there existence in creation of a welding machine. They all have large capacitors in series to make them work, which are more than likely used to smooth out the arc. just before it leaves the positive terminal. I'm trying to figure out how big of a one I need in order to achieve a 400 amp output or not disrupt it. I also need to figure out the performance capability of the inverter I'll need as well.
Without a schematic diagram of what you have in mind it is hard to say "what capacitors in series" are actually doing. As long as we are exchanging words, no useful conclusions can be drawn. It is your choice; keep assaulting us with words or cough up a schematic.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
For the safety reason that the Non-isolated mains power supply will violated the UG, so this thread will be locked, if you trying to change your mind to use the transformer then please click the "Report" button and we will reopen the thread, thank you for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.