connectors testing system according IEC standards

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
I have attached manual. i don't really understand the information given in manual I have been searching on the internet, but i haven't found one which uses this information and explains it.

If anyone could help, that would be much appreciated

Thanks.

Moderator's note: A copyright protected document has been removed. You may quote small parts of the document.

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It is an IEC standard dated 2003. This describes it:
This part of IEC 61238 deals with type tests for compression and mechanical connectors for use on copper or aluminium conductors of power cables for rated voltages up to 30 kV (Um = 36 kV). When a design of connector meets the requirements of this standard, then it is expected that in service: a) the resistance of the connection will remain stable; b) the temperature of the connector will be of the same order or less than that of the conductor; c) the mechanical strength will be fit for the purpose; d) if the intended use demands it, application of short-circuit currents will not affect a) and b). It should be stressed that, although the electrical and mechanical tests specified in this standard are to prove the suitability of connectors for most operating conditions, they do not necessarily apply to situations where a connector may be raised to a high temperature by virtue of connection to highly rated plant, or where the connector is subjected to excessive mechanical vibration or shock or to corrosive conditions. In these instances, the tests in this standard may need to be supplemented by special tests agreed between supplier and purchaser.
It is 124 pages long. What part of that do you not understand?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) The manual in your link is written in French and English. If you need another language, then you can try Google translate or other service.
2) Standard IEC 61238-1 is simply the identification number of the standard. It has no other meaning. Asking what it means is like asking what a telephone number means.
3) The standard is applicable to a range of voltages. Those are described therein.

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
Does it give a safe voltage rating for cable or cable connector?

As per the IEC 61238 standard Cable/connector voltage should be less then 30 KV if it exceeds more then 30 kV it’s not safe to use

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Does it give a safe voltage rating for cable or cable connector?

As per the IEC 61238 standard Cable/connector voltage should be less then 30 KV if it exceeds more then 30 kV it’s not safe to use
No, that is not what it means.

IEC 61238 applies to cable assemblies up to 30 kV. If the assembly is for 30 kV or more, presumably another standard applies. If that standard for higher voltage is followed, then the assembly at 30 kV or more is also safe within the limits set by IEC.

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
No, that is not what it means.

IEC 61238 applies to cable assemblies up to 30 kV. If the assembly is for 30 kV or more, presumably another standard applies. If that standard for higher voltage is followed, then the assembly at 30 kV or more is also safe within the limits set by IEC.
What are the relationship between all of four
1. IEC 61238 standard
2. Cable
3. Connector
4. Voltage Rating 30 KV

I think cable assemblies means we can connect cable with connector

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I do not understand language in that manual. I do not understand what is IEC 61238 standard. What should be voltage/current rating of connector as per IEC 61238 standard
WHY do you consider that you need to understand this standard? Are you responsible for verifying that something meets the standard? Or a lawyer attempting to determine if there has been an error made that caused a problem? or just wondering? Performance standards are intended to cover every aspect of a given topic and so they are written mostly to inform those folks who are at least a bit familiar with the specific area.
So please explain your motivation to understand this rather focused specification. It is an important one but only that products and application are OK matters to most of us.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have attached manual. i don't really understand the information given in manual I have been searching on the internet, but i haven't found one which uses this information and explains it.

If anyone could help, that would be much appreciated

Thanks.

Moderator's note: A copyright protected document has been removed. You may quote small parts of the document.
The moderator could have extended us the benefit of posting the name of the copyrighted document that was removed.

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
WHY do you consider that you need to understand this standard?
So please explain your motivation to understand this rather focused specification. It is an important one but only that products and application are OK matters to most of us.
I visited at plant I saw there is one system doing some test so asked to operator what is main objective of the that system and what it does ?

He said system is checking the quality of cable as per international stranded. if the cable follow the standard they will give certificate that the product follow international standard and he was only operator he didn't knew much about system and he give me that pdf file

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I visited at plant I saw there is one system doing some test so asked to operator what is main objective of the that system and what it does ?

He said system is checking the quality of cable as per international stranded. if the cable follow the standard they will give certificate that the product follow international standard and he was only operator he didn't knew much about system and he give me that pdf file
When you manufacture a product you can test that product to specification(s). The specifications can be from published data or specifications called out by the customer. If I manufacture a product like a wire harness with connectors I can test it to a specification and if the product passes whatever specification I can then say this product meets or exceeds (insert specification here). That is all there is to it. The specification or standard can be Internationally accepted or Nationally accepted. The product may meet several standards or specifications or just a single specification and there are likely thousands of specifications to choose from.

Ron

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When you manufacture a product you can test that product to specification(s). The specifications can be from published data or specifications called out by the customer. If I manufacture a product like a wire harness with connectors I can test it to a specification and if the product passes whatever specification I can then say this product meets or exceeds (insert specification here). That is all there is to it. The specification or standard can be Internationally accepted or Nationally accepted. The product may meet several standards or specifications or just a single specification and there are likely thousands of specifications to choose from.

Ron
In the alternative, just buy the certification sticker. I understand they are quite inexpensive in some countries.

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
If I manufacture a product like a wire harness with connectors I can test it to a specification and if the product passes whatever specification I can then say this product meets or exceeds (insert specification here). That is all there is to it. The specification or standard can be Internationally accepted or Nationally accepted. The product may meet several standards or specifications or just a single specification and there are likely thousands of specifications to choose from.
Ron Thank you for clarifying things. I spent quite a lot of time searching for heat cycle and short-circuit tests and methods given in manual But, no luck until now.

let's assume we have product like wire harness with connectors What is heat cycle and short-circuit tests in context of standard
test and method.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What you are going to find is endless specifications where within a specification it will point to another specification.

let's assume we have product like wire harness with connectors What is heat cycle and short-circuit tests in context of standard
Danko sums it up nicely above. Some specifications call out the test method and procedure to be used while others spell it out within the same document.

Ron