POV fan display

Lovos

Joined Nov 10, 2019
Hi,

For my bachelor Thesis I was given the quest to make a 720p POV fan display which can play a video)
I have done weeks of research but can't figure out some simple things. Especially the electronic circuit. so...

* Resolution:
If you google for some fans, people advertise fans up to 1080p or even 4k. How do you calculate the resolution of these things?
I assume, that if I need 720p, that I need 720 LED lights for this? and if my LED is 1mm x 1mm in size, Then I need to refresh my led when my led has moved approximately 1mm. right?

I want to put 180 LED's on 4 blades with each blade having an offset, so the LED's move in between eachothers path (Like a brick wall, every row is offsetted to be in between the other row)

In this video (at the 0:45 timecode) they tell you that they have 4 blades with 200 LED's which produce a 4k image? I assume this isn't correct?

* Refresh rate:
How many times does it need to refresh and spin per second? For a smooth multimedia framerate I personally would take 30 frames per second.
This means that it has to spin 30 times per second, or 1800 rotations per minute. Right? This seems alot.

* Circuit
How do I drive RGB leds at such an high frequency? If I need to control 720 LED's, that would mean that I need ALOT of connections. I have to come up with some clever design. Every color (red, green, blue) needs a byte for the color data, per led. I want to group the LED's so that the LED's at the end of the blade, which spin the fastest, get more updates than the LED's closer to the middle. But how do I drive an rgb led which has to refresh approximately 30.000 times per second? I could put the bytes in a RAM memory but how do i connect these up to the LED? Do I need special LED drivers? Do I use a multiplexer to drive each LED based on an address? How should I make such circuit? I am clueless and can't find any help on the internet about such "high" resolution POV fans.

This is a long and complicated post, thanks for reading allt his and feel free to share your personal opinion on how you would make this yourself. I have access to an pick and place machine to assemble a custom PCB.

I found these LED's. are these good for this project?
https://www.mouser.be/ProductDetail...eGfSY3csMkdgyOOAg6kv2pfRVenJlI24n7iio0ioUBA==
Cheers,
- A student which is clueless.