Cable/Lead extensions

W5M

Joined Nov 7, 2019
Since I haven't a clue how to make or where I might be able to have these made, or purchased, I thought someone here might have a clue? If not, maybe a good forum that I might find the answer? I need to extend these 24 inches or so and in the same configurations connection wise.

Regards,
-JW:

OV_DSC_1005.jpg
CL_DSC_1005.jpg

SteveSh

Joined Nov 5, 2019
Can you determine who makes the connectors? Many interconnect vendors such as Samtec make connectors with leads attached.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Measure the pitch between adjacent contacts. They may be JST (http://www.jst.com/index.html ). If not, Molex is my second choice. There is a bewildering array of connectors (see the search pages of Digikey and other distributors). You need the pitch (most important), wire size (as the crimp contacts are dependent on wire size) , and other features like locking, shroud orientation, and mechanism of pin retention.

It takes work.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When mailing the manufacturer, the dimentions are importent.
The outside measurements and the pin distance will already narrow down the search.

Bertus

W5M

Joined Nov 7, 2019
Hello,

When mailing the manufacturer, the dimentions are importent.
The outside measurements and the pin distance will already narrow down the search.

Bertus
Would you mind clarifying pin distance? Do you mean center to center of each pin?

-JW:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks, I emailed JST along with pic(s).

-JW:
Ah.... Unless you are buying a lot, I suspect JST doesn't have the time to search for you, particularly based only on "pictures." In fact, I don't think anyone does. YOU NEED PITCH at a minimum.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You also need to find compatible wire. Both are shielded and the one with only 2 contacts may be coaxial. Are you planning to splice into the cables or go to the source inside the device? If you are planning to splice, you could just add a section to each -- appropriately shielded, staggered, and insulated -- which may or may not work. That would preserve the connectors you have.

Finally, if you remove the contacts from the female parts you have, you may get by with just buying the contacts, which might be easier to find.

SteveSh

Joined Nov 5, 2019
W5M -

You didn't say how permanent you need this cable extender to be. Also, what the frequency range of interest is.

If this is just a temporary mod at modest (less than a couple of MHz) frequencies, you could probably get by with some 25 mil or 50 mil (not sure what's standard) diameter pins or sockets as these are fairly common. I've also used pins from circular connectors (38999) and attached my own wire to them, either crimp or solder depending on the pin type.

Also, as someone else said, "pin pitch" and "pin spacing" are pretty much synonymous.

W5M

Joined Nov 7, 2019
... just a few more pics. I'm not connector savvy in the slightest. I did find some markings on both connectors. I had to rub a graphite pencil on one connector to read it. Pins are about 2.34mm on center and the colored wires are about .039mm in diameter. The 3 pin connector width (widest part) is around 8.89mm and the other connector is around 15.88mm in width (widest part). I'd rather have the extension with connectors making it plug and play.

Attachments

W5M

Joined Nov 7, 2019
Sorry for wasting those involved time. Connectors were found by someone else in this project. The problem are finding cables. <duh>

-JW: