DIfference between HoldOff on DSO and analog ossiloscope ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I still getting used to the finer details of scopes, and on analog scope, I've used holdoff and trigger settings to get nicer signals, from a overlapping mess. I can't remember for sure what they were tho. I haven't had much luck on my tek2430 DSO. I never tried side by side, with a signal that I could improve on the analog scope.

But IDK for sure it's working on the DSO, there no errors tho, IDK if it checks that tho. Also, the button just turns forever in either direction, and the hoff text appears a little off, side to side from whatever the button calls center , which must change.

I can see a little change in waveform, but I don't really know if it's working, since I can't remember a good signal to probe,. Or how far the button should go before it's pointless. (I'm guessing the button is meant to turn forever, it's not spring loaded either)

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Depends much on the waveform you're looking at as to how much Holdoff is or might be needed.
Trigger level adjustments can take care of most requirements for a repetitive waveform however something like a data stream and if not using Holdoff getting a stable display can be much trickier.
Generally with the modern DSO the remedy is easy as we just look for the length of a packet and set Holdoff for a little more.
This results in the trigger not being armed again until after the packet instead of triggering on each and every bit.

If/when using a protocol trigger suite this is all taken care of with the programming of the particular protocol trigger.