What mid-range probes to buy ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I only have 1 good regular probe, and another good 1 that's missing the tips (I have 2 dirt cheap ones as well). I have 2 working 2CH, under 200MHz scopes. I do hobby and a bit of repair stuff. IDK the price range on these but what are a decent pair of probes to get ?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have a mixture of Tek (model 6109B, 100 MHz), Mueller (used) and Rigol (new, came with DS1054Z scope). None have 50 Ω impedance. You can buy inexpensive factory made matching terminations (e.g., https://www.tequipment.net/RigolADAPTOR-50-OHM.html?rrec=true ). Dave of EEVBlog has a YouTube show on the effect:

I use the Tek usually. They are fixed at 10X; the Rigol can be switched 1X or 10X. I like the feel of the Tek probes. There is probably very little difference functionally -- at least I have't seen any, but I don't have any really demanding needs.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
What do you mean by tips? The pointed tip, or a grabber attachment?
Dirt cheap can also be good; at least for some measurements.
It's tip covers and grabers don't fit, I think the seller just added what was around, or whatever.

I haven't done a good comparison with the cheap probes I got with a $20 DSO.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I rarely use those accessories.

For low frequency signals, you can use jumper wires with grabbers or alligator clips.
You mean just leave the probe of to the side and run a lead to DUT. Yeah I should be using it, and I think it's also a 1x 10x probe like my other good 1. Lately I'm using a diff probe, I should try and see how different they all, that would be a lot easier if I had a good sig.gen.