Switches and leds

Bhunt83

Joined Sep 15, 2019
Not sure if this is the right place to post...

Looking to wire a standard home AC outlet power strip to a set of switches & leds. The end goal is to a button that when pressed resets/stops the power strip(being used to reset a modem/router) by using a momentary switch that acts as "kill switch"

However there is a bit more to the project. I would like to first have a set of toggle switches that must be turned on to allow the "kill switch" to work. Flipping the first toggle will activate an led, the 2nd toggle switch will activate a second led, as well as a blinking led, so you know the push button is ready to go. Then when the button is pressed, the power strip would loose power(only while the button is being pressed).

If this was a 12v project I could wire the switches and LED's. The new territory for me is running it all from a wall outlet, and momentarily cutting power to a power strip.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Welcome to AAC!

So 3 things. 1. an LED w/ on/off switch. I assume this will be for the lo V power supply for the controls? 2. on/off switch and LED to arm the kill circuit and power another blinking LED? Sounds like redundant signal LEDs? 3. a kill relay to power outlets for the power strips?

So what voltage for the control circuit and indicator lights? I would use the 120 coming in to power the controls. To use lo powered LEDs and swithches you will need to build a rectifier and stepdown power supply. Incoming 120 to a relay powering the outlets. You can buy flashing LEDs or else build a flashing timer circuit to do it.

Is that about it?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Modems/switches/routers don't like being momentarily flipped on/off the reset them. Typically ~10-60 seconds off time to cleat them before resetting so add another timing circuit. Getting expensive to turn something off and back on when the switch on the power strip actuated by a finger using a brain for a timer works just fine and doesn't cost anything unless you are trying to do remote control...

Bhunt83

Joined Sep 15, 2019
A2A5759F-1AB2-4F04-8EF8-C1C0A865C21D.jpeg
Modems/switches/routers don't like being momentarily flipped on/off the reset them. Typically ~10-60 seconds off time to cleat them before resetting so add another timing circuit. Getting expensive to turn something off and back on when the switch on the power strip actuated by a finger using a brain for a timer works just fine and doesn't cost anything unless you are trying to do remote control...
The power strip, along with router/modem are locked in a server cabinet. So the idea was to be able to reboot it without having to open the cabinet.

I am a novice in this area, all I have done is 12v batteries to switches and leds. The 120v stuff is new to me. So never worked with(or know what) a rectifier is.

To give a visual, wanted to have the control box consist of 2 aircraft/auto cover style toggle switches, followed by the button.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
OK, it is remote then. How far from the operating point to the cabinet? Those look like 120V devices so a step-down control voltage should not be needed. I would go with just one switch and indicator light. Simple on/off since you will want to give the net devices time to power completely down and clear themselves. One remote switch+indicator light to turn on/off a remote power strip for the devices needed to be reset in the locked cabinet unless you want to re-energized them in a set timed sequence. If so I would simply use one switch per device and power them up by hand in a set protocol. Rectifiers convert AC to DC. Those switches are designed to be panel mounted but simple light switch w/ indicator will mount in a standard wall receptacle or surface box. Just make or break the hot lead to the power strip so 2 wires from the switch box to the remote receptacle box for the power strip. Simple job for an electrician.