Review on BK precision 9130B Power Supply

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I like the idea of multiple outputs but for the price of one of those, I could buy a dozen of the one I use now and am perfectly happy with... .001A to 5A and amp limiter with .001V to 30VDC and also has a GND connection in addition to + & -.

I can also use the Function Generator for both AC and DC up to ~20V and have a 120 to 12/6VAC XFMR to play around with building small DC power circuits.

So unless you are running a certification lab why do you need such an expensive instrument?

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
@SamR , my bench is quite "compact" (fancy name for being squeezed in the laundry area) and a multiple output power supply is a very welcome addition to the bench. I really didn't know how useful it would be before I got one (I was lucky enough to have won a Keysight E36312A from them).

Another detail that is quite useful when compared to my other cheaper single channel models (clones of Mastech HY3005 and QJE PS3005S) is the very accurate built-in voltage and current meters. That saves me from having to plug 2 DMMs/channel to make simultaneous measurements on the power supply outputs.

However, I agree the price level is very steep for the convenience alone. The build quality and design are important these days. I have heard rare cases of ultra-cheaply built power supplies similar to the two I have that failed high and damaged whatever was connected to them, but I haven't experienced it myself. My Mastech clone recently failed low but it is simple to fix.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I really didn't know how useful it would be before I got one (I was lucky enough to have won a Keysight E36312A from them).
Believe me, I completely understand compact/limited space and I would certainly not turn down a free one. And I agree with the "Ultra Cheap" but there are lots of very good/value-priced pieces of equipment available today compared to when I started down this road 50 years ago. As I said I make do with my single good-quality and much less expensive PSU and a Function Generator and can drag out of the drawer the XFMR (plus a variable DC voltage regulator module) when needed to cover all my bases so far without having to pay a premium for research-grade ultra-precision that is not necessary for most instances. FWIW Being retired I try to make my fixed income stretch as far as possible hence frugality.