Driving 5V solenoid with a relay board

luisnperez

Joined Aug 23, 2013
Hello friends! I think the title is clear. I need to drive a 5V push/pull mini solenoid using a relay board (Not a micro-controller).
What would be the wiring and do I need any extra components to protect the board??? a diode? I was thinking to use the relay to close the negative wire of the 5V power supply then activate the solenoid for about 1 second. Is that safe? do I need a diode to protect the relay board?
This is the relay Board:
www.amazon.com/dp/B074MPWFF3/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_0EPBDbH3Q65Q8

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Just use the relay contact closure on the board, use a reverse-biased BEMF diode across the mini solenoid coil, 1N4005/6/7/ etc.
Max.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/259800/contact-sparking-even-with-flyback-diode
" If the contact is arcing I would investigate a snubber circuit across the contacts. If the arcing is just when the contacts open, I would start with a 10 or 20 ohm resistor in series with a 1uF cap. -- answered Sep 26 '16 at 20:40 Matthew "
i assume it might be smth. :
(+5) → (small resistor) → {(reverse diode to GND) (cap+) (relay contact)} . / _ . {(relay contact) (cap–)} → (small R) → {(reverse diode to Sol–) (Solenoid+)} UUU {(Solenoid–) → (GND)
? random Google image search ?

Falstad a Built In version
Falstad above Described Cryptography and a layout revision in/by LTSpice G5LC-1_SPDT - TEST - 2-bb.gif + trivia G5LC-1_SPDT - TEST - 2-b3.gif
. . . while "clipping" the voltage spikes . . . i overlooked the current through the relay contacts ( IR5 ) . . . ? Final → G5LC-1_SPDT - TEST - 2-b4.png → trivial.2-chk → G5LC-1_SPDT - TEST - 2-b4b.png

Last edited:
What is a push pull solenoid?

Dual coil?
One set of wires and a spring return?

Standard coil protection is a reverse biased diode located close to the relay coil.
Automotive applications even though 12 V should use 200-400 PIV diodes. A 1n4001 is fine for you.