Someone please tell me what this delay on board does, how to wire it up

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-30V-...395827?hash=item4b54459e33:g:LscAAOSwRrlcDONe

I want something that when 12 vdc is present on a wire, that a device connected to that 12 vdc wire will delay coming on for about 1 second. AND the device stays on till the 12 vdc wire loses power
Will this do that? Is it passing DC volt power from input to output?

See I am sending 12 vdc power out to gps when I turn on the radio, but I need the GPS to delay coming on till the radio is ready to receive GPS data. If they both come on together, the radio never gets any data from the GPS. The GPS always has to be off, then radio turn on, delay a second, then GPS on always works.

I dont want to have to turn on radio, then use a second switch to turn on the GPS.

Does someone have a better idea?

Background information, the GPS outputs rs232, the radio receives rs422, I thought about a converter to turn rs232 into s422, but I dont know if that would fix this. But I know a delay on for the GPS does work.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you read the discription:

#Products are often used in car modification, control motors, light bulbs, LED lights, DC motors, micro pumps, solenoid valves and other equipment, the output uses optocoupler isolation, enhanced anti-interference ability power consumption, to ensure stability.

# Product working mode: power on, delay automatically power off for a period of time. (If the power off, the
output will off)
# Products are often used in car modification, control motors, light bulbs, LED lights, DC motors, micro
pumps, solenoid valves and other equipment, the output uses optocoupler isolation, enhanced anti-interference ability power consumption, to ensure stability.

Bertus

iimagine

Joined Dec 20, 2010
Again you didnt read enough:

*With 8 time ranges selected shortest 0.1s most up to 1 hour

It wont stay on forever till disconnected like you want

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Again you didnt read enough:

*With 8 time ranges selected shortest 0.1s most up to 1 hour

It wont stay on forever till disconnected like you want
Ok, I bought the Aliexpress one, as I know that will work for me, and its cheaper too.
I just felt like it was not the right one.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
That’s the problem ordering from China. Their product descriptions /documentation is inscrutable. I looked at the same description and didn’t see the problem you did.

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Yes, this will work, but 1 second may not be sufficient
I was installing a new DSC Cobra VHF on the boat which needs a GPS to be able to send GPS coordinates when making a DSC call.
I bought an rs232 NMEA GPS to be mounted up on the side of boat, which then is wired into the radio with 2 wires, and the radio GPS input uses an rs422 type interface, but many times it just works anyway connecting rs232 GPSes.

I found powering on GPS about a second after powering on radio worked 20 out of 20 times, GPS data appears in radio display.
If GPS was left on, and radio turned on it never received any data.
If GPS was powered on with the radio at same time rarely it would show data in the radio display. Of course I had always intended this GPS to be dedicated to the radio, but would have been nice to be able to use it for three other listeners.

I am not sure if its the rs232 to rs422 mismatch or the radio is not so great.

I added a wire inside radio to take power from radio after a user turns it on, makes very convenient as no separate on switch is needed for the GPS. I also tested the GPS connected direct to the battery and the behavior was no different, still having connection failures.

Other bad thing is if you want to share GPS data with up to 4 listeners, well you cant with this radio as wired up right now. Because if you turn radio off and leave GPS on, and then turn radio on, GPS data never will appear in the display.

Here is my added in wire to the radio circuit's blue wire. Its red with a knot. Just happened to be a silicon sealed small hole perfect fit for the wire. The negative is the giant heatsink metal surround, and a small threaded hole exists for me to attach a black wire next to the antenna jack. So red and black from radio will go to delay timer relay and then to GPS power. Turn on radio, power from my added on wire goes to the delay timer, it delays 1 second, then sends power to GPS.

20190823_110954.jpg

Last edited:

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Sellers of goods like this would double their sales if the instructions were understandable ..... The Chines government should have just one guy offering a free checking service , it would only take 10mins ....

From what I gather there is power in , power out .... once you apply power in there will be power out for a fixed time , up to 20 sec , then power out will switch off ... time interval can be varied 0 to 20 sec by potentiometer on circuit board....

There that took 1 minute ... if the seller included those two lines , sales would double .