Printer Cartridges—chip resets?

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
After having an older ink jet printer that I was able to keep running with refilling the cartridges myself, I’ve had to replace it. Now I have an Epsom with individual cartridges that I’m looking ahead for refilling...I’ve found quite a few instructions on resetting the chips on them but many of them seem to be a little suspect if they really work or not. In many cases there are Resetters available that you hold the pins against, and an LED on top lights green when it has “reset”. I think there might be two rows of four pins if I recall correctly...what is going on with this process? I’m guessing a small battery charge in the Resetter is sent to certain pins? From what I gather, the Reset involves possibly some kind of identifier but mainly tells the printer that the full number of printer sheets available has been reset, meaning it’s now full of ink.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I fly a Cannon printer. It has options on the computer to tell the computer to keep track of how many items I print. When a certain number is reached it starts warning you that it's time to replace the cartridge. YouTube helped me find that file where I could turn off the counter.

As for batteries inside print cartridges - I find that difficult to believe. Today printers cost just a few dollars more than a new printer. However, a new printer comes with starter ink, not the full ink cartridges you buy as replacements. I've seen YouTube videos on how to drill into a cartridge and open a second reservoir for refilling but I don't know if I'd trust that either. YouTube can be a great source of information, but it can also be a great source of consternation when you listen to some fool who doesn't know what he's doing - or worse, out to cause problems for poor unsuspecting folk.

robismod

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Thanks Tony...I’ve been a Canon Pixma guy for several years, having pretty good luck with refilling both the black and color cartridges, and completely disassembling them and “refurbishing”. I have run into the occasional hard case and used several tricks I’d come up with to make them work correctly again. And a couple were just dead no matter what I did—in that case I ran out and bought a new one and all was well again. I also learned that a certain black “ink” in a little bottle at Walmart (in the hobbies section) will NOT even try to work, hence I then read up about the difference. (Had to completely rebuild that cartridge too)
This last cartridge I worked on for a couple days and it would just not print colors correctly, so I thought maybe time for an upgrade...so now I have this Epson, and there’s very little info out on it so far...hmmm...
Seems they have figured out how to shut down the print once the cartridge reaches the “last page” count and I believe the chip can’t be reset once it does reach that point. What I am seeing so far is somewhat confusing, so it might be some trial and error attempts. I’d like to add a Continuous Ink System but so far not seeing any for this model yet, but there are several that appear to be used with what looks like my 212 small, thin cartridges...hmmm

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
I have a HP printer with those type of cartridges & i stopped using it. Went back to Canon pixma that i can refill the cartridges usualy at least 12 times before they become troublesome. Then i just buy a new printer for less than the price of replacement cartridges. I buy the ink of Ebay & never had any trouble.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Personally I use a printer very little compared to most, and got tired of the ink drying out in the cartridge passages over time, way before they ran out. So I got a Dell color laser printer. Since it uses toner not ink no drying out worries. Toner cartridges last way longer than the ink ever did and they are cheaper to buy than ink. Got the Dell new from them when they came out with a newer model, for way less than a new ink jet.