Project: LED Cube 3x3x3, can be re-worked for more with a higher class processor

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
Good day guys!

1. A clear title that describes the project appended by the word '', for example "Project: 555 Audio Oscillator".
  2. A list of parts, equipment, software used: PIC16F690(dip20 package), universal PCB(anything is good), 30 LEDs(27 for the project, 3 in case something brakes). The compiler used is "CCS PIC C v5.083". I am showing in the pictures in the ".zip" file that at "2.9V" is the last voltage the LEDs are visible. You need a programmer for "PIC16F690", any compiler for it and "PICKit2" so you can upload the ".hex" file.
  3. Details of any theory, references or information that may be applicable: The project is much better than the Arduino versions. It requires minimum components, no current limiting resistors, easier soldering. The programming is easy, but the hardware is better. It needs only 1 battery (18650), since the "PIC16F690" needs a supply voltage from "2V" to "5.5V", in truth it works with a single 18650 battery, when the LEDs begin to be not so bright, you need to check the battery for undervoltage or apply a mechanism for detecting and stopping undervoltage. It has all the Arduino advantages, but without its disadvantages. The "PIC16F690" port(PORTA, PORTB or PORTC) can give 20mA maximum, which is enough to drive our LEDs and there is no chance of burning them. The LEDs are bright enough, especially if you use "ultra bright LEDs", 100 for $5.5 USD.
  4. Any schematics, source code, etc: The schematic is not needed. You can connect any pins to the LEDs and program which ever pattern you want, since the only components are the "PIC16F690" and the LEDs. Follow how to solder the LEDs from here "YoutubeTutorial". Yes I only changed the processor. I am not using a remote control by the phone, I pre-programmed the patterns and just rotate them. You will find all you need in the attachement.
  5. A short description of what to do: Solder the LEDs on the PCB, connect all 12 pins to the MCU, program the patterns with any compiler you wish. Add a pin header with 5 pins for the ICSP pins, so you can reprogram the MCU when ever you want. Connect 1 "18650" battery to the "PIC16F690" power and ground pins.
  6. In the interests of manageability and security, project files/code/schematics must be locally stored on All About Circuits. This is not optional. Links such as You Tube may be used to provide supplementary information, however they must not provide the substance of the project.
  7. A picture displaying the finished project is preferred. It should be the first illustration displayed.

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Moderation:
hi,
Please post a full schematic of the project on your Thread, you can only use a YouTube for supplementary information.

In the interests of manageability and security, project files/code/schematics must be locally stored on All About Circuits.
This is not optional. Links such as You Tube may be used to provide supplementary information, however they must not provide the substance of the project.

A complete parts list is also required.
E

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
@ArakelTheDragon
I have moved your thread over here for you to edit to bring it in compliance with the Completed Forum Project rules. This post will be removed when this happens. So will other posts that distract from your thread.

Notice a certain amount of repetition on these posts and our PMs?

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
No one I know will download a ZIP file from an unknown person on a forum.

ak

Mod edit: JohnInTX

Last edited by a moderator: