Pacific Wave Rower display repair

tangotonyb

Joined Jul 2, 2019
I've a rather expensive rower where the control board is no longer working. I say control - actually it just counts reps and measures "distance" etc.
When I opened it, the battery holder was corroded and one of the springs was missing. I removed it and replaced with a new holder, but the screen was still dead.
When I use the rower, the controller DOES beep, so there is life on the circuit board, which incidentally looks undamaged. I've measured the voltages on it as well and it's 2.95V, so no problem with the batteries or the new holder.

When I came to inspect the screen, I was rather surprised to see no sign of a connection to the PCB, then suddenly (I wasn't applying any force) the whole screen lifted off the PCB. It was held on by two strips of "rubber?" top and bottom - when I inspected these, they peeled away easily from the screen which just appears to be a piece of glass, with a white backing.
I have no idea if this is now trash, or if it's repairable some how. I'm guessing that the "rubber" contains a series of conductive channels and that reassembly would require both using a conductive glue and aligning the screen with the PCB exactly. But no experience here at all, so it may be a complete waste of effort to even try.

Any thoughts on how I could proceed?

The screen has the code VB3508ATRZ on the back, and the PCB 81057_01

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Its normal in many cases that they just lift away from those strips.

You should get a response from the screen by just properly aligning screen, rubber strip and pcb. The contacts in the rubber strip are pretty easy to identify. May be able to tell if its a connection issue or something else. If no activity on screen its probably something else and you should post some pictures of the circuit.

This topic is relevant to your question and is mostly about the rubber strips:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...-a-borg-automotive-clock.160963/#post-1407482