Module (IC) for interfacing with Honeywell/Ademco 5800 series devices

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Can anyone suggest a module or IC that can be used for interfacing with Honeywell/Ademco 5800 series wireless security devices (door sensors, motion sensors, etc..)? I'm at step one of research for a new product (not a one-off), and I've found a few open source projects, but haven't found any commercial solutions yet.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Say for example I'm making a product that communicates via Bluetooth. I might choose to use a Nordic nrf52 series processor because it includes a Bluetooth radio and supporting software library. Better yet I might choose a Rigado BMD-340 module, which is based on the Nordic chip but has already passed some FCC certifications so you can more or less just drop it on your PCB and go.

In this case I'm making a security device that needs to communicate with wireless security devices, such as the Honeywell/Ademco wireless sensors, like this and this. I'm looking for a module or IC that includes a radio and gives me an interface to these wireless devices, the higher level the interface the better. The goal is to be able to communicate with these devices, but not have to become a low level wireless radio expert to do it.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Please consider that if you utilize any bluetooth communications for your security sensors all a hacker has to do is jam the frequency and the system does not get the message. Do you really want to create unsecure security devices??

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
It's not using bluetooth for the sensors, but will be using wireless sensors. Security is all relative, this won't be protecting life, and the bad guys won't know it's there 99% of the time. The attackers are expected to be street thugs, not high tech guys with a plan.