Transflective LCD on original Game Boy (Mod)

Lectraplayer

Joined Jan 2, 2015
I know they used to exist in the late 1980's and early 1990's when the Nintendo Game Boy DMG-01 come out, and I see many backlit screen mods available, but has anyone seen a transflective LCD mod that gives me the OEM reflectiveness as well as the backlight? If not, how were screens like that built to be visible in both front light and when backlit?

Lectraplayer

Joined Jan 2, 2015
Did you search on that? Here is Digikey's offering: https://www.digikey.com/products/en...6b&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=500

Just look for ones without backlight. Having never owned a Game Boy, I don't know whether the display is numeric or graphic (I assumed graphic) nor its size. A backlight will not affect whether the same code will work.
You would be correct in saying that a Game Boy display is graphical, especially with the border saying "DOT MATRIX WITH STEREO SOUND." That said, I'm modding the display that is there already with an add in backlighting kit that is readily avaiiable. However, I'm wanting to keep the reflectiveness for gameplay outdoors instead of having to rely on a honkin' backlight. I think I may have to mod my packaged mod to pull this off like I'm wanting.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I am not clear on what you are trying to do. That is, if you are adding an aftermarket LED backlight, how would that affect the reflective surface that is already there? Are you looking to replace the GB screen or just modify it?

In the link I posted, this example: https://www.displaytech-us.com/sites/default/files/display-data-sheet/64128K series.pdf
shows retention of the reflective surface and a backlight. There are other examples in that Digikey link.

If you are planning to replace the GB display, that could be a lot more complicated.

Lectraplayer

Joined Jan 2, 2015

Now, imagine if there was a way to leave that reflective sticker you peel off at about the 2 minute mark, but still have the backlight. I know there were displays then that had that capability.

The GBA-SP (AGS-001 model) accomplishes the same thing I want to by having a color reflective LCD with a front light, though I've used many devices, such as watches, meters, etc that does what I'm wanting to do.