EDA Software for Mac OS

KeeganPren

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I did a quick search of the forums for "EDA mac" and found this older post (https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/best-software-for-drawing-schematic-diagram.42769/) on the topic of schematic drawing software, but I want to ask a more specific question and get a more current answer.

What are your thoughts and opinions on the best EDA software available for Mac OS right now?

I've used gEDA in the past on Linux, albeit many years ago so I'm sure a lot has changed, and that would run on Mac OS now but a quick google search reveals several options. Eagle, gEDA, KiCad, and others.

I'm not looking at just schematics, so if you're talking about a diagram drawing tool that happens to have a stencil set for electronics I'm not interested. I'm looking for more complete solutions that cover schematic capture, PCB, maybe even some spice integration for simulation.

Again, just looking at Mac OS. However, everyone's thoughts are welcome on the condition that if you're not talking about Mac options you must close your post with the following "But what do I know? I'm a <insert OS here> user."

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I run the most of my "serious" software on Windows XP running under VirtualBox on the Mac.I just find the XP versions to be easier to use than those that run natively on the Mac.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
XP causes a lot of problems for me, even with the pro VMware I still can't get everything to work. I am using Windows 7 pro on my VM, where most things work. A VM seems to be the only decision.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I’ve seen good reviews of KiCad and it’s crossplatform. I downloaded and installed it but haven’t had time to play with it.

I use what you don’t want, a drawing program with my own custom library of components. Intaglio is the app, the same thing I use for woodworking and home improvement projects.

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
By the way XP can not be activated anymore, consider moving on Win7, as Win8/8.1 and 10 will overload your PC and brake it. They are especially designed to break everything after a certain time.

KeeganPren

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I run the most of my "serious" software on Windows XP running under VirtualBox on the Mac.I just find the XP versions to be easier to use than those that run natively on the Mac.
+5 for the clever dodge of the "but what do I know rule" I'll have to create an addendum "But what do I know, I *pretend* to use <insert your OS here>" ;)

XP though, yikes! For grins though, what toolset are you using? I'm a hobbyist so there is a very low threshold for the "seriousness" of my applications, which is why I suspect a suite like gEDA or KiCad will work fine for me for the foreseeable future.

@wayneh I'm not familiar with that drawing application, but I did notice Omnigraffle had a library for electronics, but that tools costs some bucks. I'm not outright opposed to going that route, I was mostly just curious about what's out there right now.

@ArakelTheDragon KiCad did look pretty nice, I'll have to check out the suite form Microchip. Thanks.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm not familiar with that drawing application...
For years I used Aldus Freehand, a postscript vector drawing program, but Adobe bought it and killed it to protect their Illustrator. A lot of reviews said Intaglio was a decent alternative for ex-Freehand users, so I gave it a shot. It's pretty good and I use it for everything. I'm pretty sure you can try a demo but I forget what the restrictions on that are.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
By the way XP can not be activated anymore, consider moving on Win7, as Win8/8.1 and 10 will overload your PC and brake it. They are especially designed to break everything after a certain time.
This may finally explain why I can install Windows 10 but when I try to run it, it brings the entire computer (both in VirtualBox and out) to its knees. Maybe it is time to update VirtualBox.

I used VMware for a few years but find VirtualBox "friendlier".

Currently most of what I run under XP is AVRStudio and LTSPICE (will that become ADSPICE in the future?). Also a little MPLab, FREEPCB, GNU C, and various utilities like terminal simulators, editors and browsers.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I use http://www.mccad.com/ and have for about 30 years. Back when it was installed from floppies!
It is not free though.
And I never use all the "magic" of it, just run it manually. So, my circuit diagram and PCB are not linked, even though the package does allow that. The most I have done is a number of 4 layer boards, but it will support many more.