Difference between core and prepreg - PCB

Electronic_Maniac

Joined Oct 26, 2017
Hi all,

I have going through the PCB material online.

I came across core and prepreg. I saw various images in google.
But what is the difference between core and prepreg. Both are essentially dielectrics which keeps the layers apart.
But what's the difference which I am missing.

Please help.

Thanks

ChetanShah

Joined Sep 19, 2020
The Prepreg is an insulating material for the PCB. Prepreg is not prepreg before being laminated, also known as prepreg, prior to lamination, and is basically utilized as a bonding material and an insulating material for the inner conductive pattern of a multilayer PCB.

Then after the Prepreg is laminated, the semi-cured epoxy is extruded, begins to flow and solidifies, bonds the multilayer sheets together and forms a trusted insulator.

The Core is the principal material for producing PCB. The Core is also known as the core PCB board that has a certain hardness and thickness, as well as double layer copper. Therefore, the multi-layer board is basically a blend of Core and Prepreg. The difference between the two:

1, Prepreg is a material in the Printed Circuit Board, the former material is semi-solid, similar to cardboard, the latter is solid, similar to copper;
2, Prepreg is similar to adhesive + Insulator; and the core is the basic material of the Printed Circuit Board, two are completely different functions;
3, the prepreg can be curled, the core cannot be bent;
4, the prepreg is not conductive, the copper layer on both sides of the core, is the printed circuit board Conductive medium.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Metal core PC boards are useful when you need high thermal conductivity, as with powerful LEDs used in lighting. Prepreg is used for more typical PCB's that have to deal a lot of wattage per unit area.