Getting started to Computer embedded systems

Ivan Gerard

Joined Nov 30, 2018
Hi everyone, I would like to learn about embedded systems, memory management, computer architecture or what I would need for build smart electronic devices, so maybe I could design and build my own PC, Smarthphone or whatever else with a OS/software supported system

For example, I'm really intrigued with Flash Memory managment, but I don't know where found Info about how Itself works or how to manage them, even more important and intrigued is a tool for simulate them

My dream is, after learning what I would need for create my computer, could select which components like processors, memories.. use for create my inteligente system, buy these chips, build a cuircuit and run them

I would like have a guide for get my goal real, something
first study digital electronics > Microcontrollers
My sorry for my english,

Could you all guide me through this wild adventure?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Look up the Arduino. It is a well supported enviroment with lots of "shields". Basically a "shield" is a module that puts intot the Arduino board. Things like LCD, Bluetooth, temperature sensors, you name it and there is probably a shiled for it.

And your English is fine. Maybe better than many Americans. ;)

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
If you choose an architecture there is usually tons of videos both at
manufacturers website and YouTube for training. Start simple like
flash an LED, then move up in using other onchip resources. IDEs
can look pretty complex, but nothing that man does is unfathomable.
And tons of training materials on IDEs.

Choose the language you want to use, C would be preferred as its
close enough to HW manipulation (Assembly closest) and fairly
universal. Once you learn this other languages become much easier
to work with.

When you pick architecture today's "standard" seems to be ARM in
terms of units shipped, support. Microchip RISC has been on low end,
around for a long time as well. And Freescale for very high end stuff
good choice. Cypress has a niche because of onchip analog, DSP, and
rout-ability, and dual core as well.

Regards, Dana.

turboscrew

Joined Dec 7, 2018
Sounds almost contradictionary to embedded systems, but if you are after big enough systems to run a full-blown operating system, maybe Raspberry Pi is the thing. It's somewhat well documented and runs Raspbian (Raspberry Pi version of Debian Linux). Pi 2B has 4 cores and full MMU to learn about memory management, and it can still be programmed as bare metal. Pi 3 is more capable thing, and they don't cost that much.

I wrote a bare metal GDB agent for Raspberry Pi 2B, but it should work on Raspberry Pi 3 too: https://github.com/turboscrew/rpi_stub
(You can also use the code as example for learning about its HW.)

StrongPenguin

Joined Jun 9, 2018
It sounds like computers are you main interest. If so, I can recommend looking up Ben Eater's 8-Bit breadboard computer. He's on YouTube and on a blog.