15 remotes and one receiver

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Heck, sometimes I have to press the doorbell switch a few times before it rings.
Maybe they were just trying to ignore you. ;)

If one were to spend big bucks ($750+) on an RF system, surely they would use reasonable quality switches...followed by monostables to catch and extend those first contacts. :)

Ken

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
We know nothing with certainty about the planned system. At one extreme, if the OP is going to use on/off keying, the Linx modules you linked to have a 7 to 10 mS start-up time. How do we know what it does with a momentary "blip" of a mS followed by maybe a couple of more blips before reaching a final state? How well matched are the individual modules. A 3 mS difference in start-up time will exceed the allowed error of the entire system.

Yes, a monostable or some other way to debounce consistently and reproducibly should be included, I think. In any event, the OP needs to consider these and other variables, if he is going to get 15 independent RF systems to operate within a relatively close tolerance of each other.

John

jarblue

Joined Dec 15, 2010
Is there a possibility that the all the signals could be displayed on the receiver in real time instead of only the first? Also the suggested $750 is a little over the price range.

jarblue

Joined Dec 15, 2010
I read all the posts and it seems to me that the wiring possibility has not been rejected. Well every remote could be a simple 8 pins microcontroller ( a pic or other brend) plus a 75176, this is all you will need to put together a RS485 net where you can connect up to 256 remote with high reliabilty and high speed.

You will code in every remote its own identity code so when you press the push botton of that remote your code will be sent to your arduino which in turn will decode the bytes received and act in function of it. Cost per each remote less then $10.

Merry Christmas

Alberto
That sounds brilliant. Does this sound good to the rest of us?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That sounds brilliant. Does this sound good to the rest of us?
Damn right it does. That is simple and there are many examples. Why didn't you say something earlier?

I am planning to build a small project involving 15 single button remotes. All remotes would be sending their signals to a single arduino. Question is what form of signal shall I use? It must be reliable and free of interference. RF? This project needs to be relatively inexpensive. These remotes will simply give the receiver its unique identity and the ardunio will do the rest of the work.
I guess we were misled by "remote." All's well that ends well.

John

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
jarblue,

In support of an easy "wired" system, how do you envision the physical arrangement of contestants and moderator in a room? What I use is a 2-wire system that can be daisy chained, or starred, or any combination.

Ken

jarblue

Joined Dec 15, 2010
To be honest a weird system is not what I had in mind. but in answere to your question, there are 3 sets of 5 in a straight line. The moderator is directly in the middle facing the contestants.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I had figured wireless so it could be given to random people in an auditorium type setting.

If the positions are always the same as shown in sketch, and all in a line, why go wired? You would still need to mount "The Big Button" for each contestant somewhere, wouldn't you?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
OK, another question. Are these contestants groups of 5 people sitting at three tables?
I'm in the process of modifying my wired system from a star configuration to a series/star configuration. It's this again: http://www.techlib.com/electronics/games.html Simple, cheap, infinitely expandable 2-wire configuration.
Originally it was 6 contestant hand controls at various locations in a lecture hall connected to a moderators box by a spider of 25' speaker-wire cables. Now its mostly like your setup, but with 2 tables with 3 contestants each. Each contestant has a hand control box with a pushbutton, a light, 2 resistors, 2 Zener diodes, a capacitor, an SCR, and a 2-conductor wire. There is a breakout box on each table that has jacks for 3 contestant controls and an extension to the next table's box. The extension from the last box goes to the moderators box that has a power source, a light, a buzzer and a reset button. So you essentially have a 2-wire cable that runs from table to table and than to the moderator. First person to push their button, lights their light, the moderator's light and buzzer, and locks out all others. I used coaxial DC power connectors throughout. Easy to setup and tear down. You can probably build the 15-station system for under $150.

I still would love a wireless system, but for a setup like your's, and mine, it hardly is a justifiable cost.

Ken