WL18MODGB UFL hookup

PaBz0r

Joined Mar 4, 2018
Hi All,

Long story short, this morning I decided to open up a device where I expected to find a ufl connector inside. To my horror they only made provision for it and I am not very clued up on what needs to be moved to enable it. If anybody can guide me, it would be greatly appreciated!

I have attached some photos and the technical details I could find, but it seems as if the pcb antenna is different to the one described.

Attachments

Pokerfjes

Joined Aug 18, 2018
How interesting, I have the same card :).

There are four versions of this design, and the test grade is what indicate which model we have.
01 = wlan 2.4GHz only
05 = wlan 2.4GHz with MIMO (two antennas required)
31 = wlan 2.4GHz and bluetooth
35 = wlan 2.4GHz with MIMO and bluetooth

I'm going to have someone add the connector for me and hopefully it is all that is needed :).
wl1801MOD-ufl-bom.JPG wl1801.jpg

Hi mate, I am trying to add an external antenna to the exact same board. Did you manage to find out where it needs to be soldered on the board?

Cheers, Paul

PaBz0r

Joined Mar 4, 2018
You can add a UFL connector the the pad, but to enable to move the 0ohm resistor.

I am unsure whether this is the most optimum way of connecting it, as there are other components used for matching the chip antenna.

If somebody could please advise on this, it would really be appreciated. The documentation does not have any matching components before the ufl trace and a capacitor is used to connect the ufl trace. So it is a bit confusing.

Attachments

Arroow

Joined Nov 9, 2018
Looking to similar boards it seems that the UFL needs to be connected straight to the wifi unit with only the 10pF capacitor in between..

[QUOTE = "Давидст, должность: 1456094, участник: 667259"]
Я собираюсь попросить члена клуба проверить, нужны ли вам только ufl и 10cF.
дай мне пару выходных и я сделаю выводы

Дэвид
[/ QUOTE]

Благодарность!!! У меня только WLAN 2,4 ГГц. Я хочу подключить усилитель Wi-Fi.

Thanks!!! I only have a 2.4 GHz WLAN. I want to connect a Wi-Fi booster.

Moderators note : AGAIN use only english over here !

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to ask a club member to see if you its only need the ufl and 10cF.
give me a couple off days and i will place my findings

David
Hi All,

Long story short, this morning I decided to open up a device where I expected to find a ufl connector inside. To my horror they only made provision for it and I am not very clued up on what needs to be moved to enable it. If anybody can guide me, it would be greatly appreciated!

I have attached some photos and the technical details I could find, but it seems as if the pcb antenna is different to the one described.
Hello, I will join this discussion and maybe I can help you.
According the pictures of the opened device the used components are different than described in the datasheet of the WL18.
It seems an HF amplifier (5pin black IC) is added to the circuitry of the device. Does anybody can read the partnumber of this IC? It might help to determine the changes needed for an external antenna.
Another question is why datasheet describes the UFL connector (J5) as a "debug only". I think because you can't connect an antenna to it directly.
But let's start with the 5pin IC, what is this?

Hello, I will join this discussion and maybe I can help you.
According the pictures of the opened device the used components are different than described in the datasheet of the WL18.
It seems an HF amplifier (5pin black IC) is added to the circuitry of the device. Does anybody can read the partnumber of this IC? It might help to determine the changes needed for an external antenna.
Another question is why datasheet describes the UFL connector (J5) as a "debug only". I think because you can't connect an antenna to it directly.
But let's start with the 5pin IC, what is this?
Unfortunately the markings at the black component didn't helped us to find the part number or even the brand of this component. Davidst informed me about the question how to modify the WL1835MODCOM8B board for an external antenna.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/swru359e/swru359e.pdf

Unfortunately the markings at the black component didn't helped us to find the part number or even the brand of this component.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Bvdschriek, post: 1456381, member: 667636"]
Здравствуйте, я присоединюсь к этому обсуждению и, возможно, смогу вам помочь.
Согласно изображениям устройства описанного устройства отличаются от описанных в техническом описании WL18.
Похоже, в схему устройства добавлен ВЧ усилитель (5pin черный IC). Кто-нибудь может прочитать партномер этой микросхемы? Это может помочь определить изменения, необходимые для внешней антенны.
Другой вопрос, почему в даташите UFL-коннектор (J5) описан как «только отладка». Думаю, что к нему напрямую антенну не подключишь.
Но давайте начнем с 5-контактной ИС, что это?

К сожалению, маркировка на черном компоненте не помогла нам найти номер детали или даже марку этого компонента. Давидст сообщил мне о вопросе, как модифицировать плату WL1835MODCOM8B для внешней антенны.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/swru359e/swru359e.pdf
[/ QUOTE]

5pin черный это фильтр на 2.4- 2.5 ггц

[QUOTE = "Bvdschriek, post: 1456381, member: 667636"] Hello, I will join this discussion and maybe I can help you. According to the pictures, the devices described differ from those described in the WL18 datasheet. It looks like an RF amplifier (5pin black IC) has been added to the circuit. Can anyone read the part number for this chip? This can help determine the changes required for the external antenna. Another question is why the UFL connector (J5) is described as "debug only" in the datasheet. I don't think you can directly connect the antenna to it. But let's start with 5 pin IC, what is it? Unfortunately, the markings on the black component did not help us find the part number or even the brand of that component. Davidst informed me about the question of how to modify the WL1835MODCOM8B board for an external antenna. http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/swru359e/swru359e.pdf [/ QUOTE]

5pin black is a 2.4-2.5 GHz filter

Moderators note : AGAIN use only english over here !
Also TURN OFF auto translate in your browser !

Last edited by a moderator: