EDA.Sparkrite electronic Ignition points assisting module.

Old 2.C.V. Man

Joined Nov 25, 2017
Hello readers: New man on this site, so excuse my Blunders in definitive explanations of my seeking help. I have presented myself as Old 2.C.V.Man.
I have a Sparkrite electronic unit, that couples to my Citroen Cars Ignition coil, to boost the Spark, its been on it since 1979, still in pristine condition, like my vehicle which I have ran relentlessly for the past 51 years.
This week I had occasion to change the Car points ,situated behind the Fan in lower section of the Sump, I fitted New Points and condenser, first time in 20 years, thats how good these Spark rites are in controlling the 2 cylinder engine, However the Sparkrite has a switch mechanism, that allows its use in Two modes, Electronic and conventional which is its point operation only.

The Unit has Two illuminate lights on its face front, Static Timing and Function timing, and the change over switch central. My problem is its now ceased to run in electronic mode, so I opened it up to inspect it, all the board Chrome heavy circuitry is impeccable, no signs of arcing, all the diodes are perfect ... no breakages visible, but the two unit lights are different , in shape, the one that works is a miniature bulb shape and the second one appears to have shrunk in shape, but its intact but no lighting.... which leads me to think thats why the electronic side of this unit is faulty.
I am pretty well versed at every thing I do, I have built several variation of Citroen 2,CVs from the ground up, since I bought my 1st one in 1955, and I have travelled the World in them for over 50 years... but I dont present myself as a Know it all Boy .. my motto is your never to old to learn...... any help would be graciously appreciated... no matter how small a suggestion. See attached pictures.
SPARKRITE DASH BOARD DISPLAY..JPG

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The Sx2000 is a Capacitor discharge electronic ignition type, it uses a two transistor oscillator using a pulse transformer to generate the 300Vdc to light up the neon on the red box.

So if the neon isn't lit it's not oscillating.
The circuit is similar to this..

mbimage.jpeg

Last edited:

Old 2.C.V. Man

Joined Nov 25, 2017
The Sx2000 is a Capacitor discharge electronic ignition type, it uses a two transistor oscillator using a pulse transformer to generate the 300Vdc to light up the neon on the red box.

View attachment 140095

View attachment 140095
Sparkrite Unit opened for Inspection.jpg
Sparkrite Opened Circuitry View.jpg
Linwood Electronic Module and Points box  Trial.jpg
Sparkrite Circuitry Board O.K.jpg
Sparkrite Internal View.jpg
Linwood Ultimate Module under-going Testing.jpg
Linwood Electronic Ignition Module with Two Coils testing it.jpg

Moderators note : removed double pictures

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
The two transistors are on the Heatsink at the back, they're probably Npn bipolar types, you can check them out with a dvm, to see if they are ok, you can check the 12V dc supply to the pcb, use AC setting on the Collectors to see if they're oscillating, or across the output of the transformer, and 300V dc across the large 2uF output capacitor, or neon.

Old 2.C.V. Man

Joined Nov 25, 2017

Hiya Dave.. Many thanks for your reply, its appreciated, you sound like the Man I am endeavouring to see.. about my Sparking problem... I note you live in Liverpool.. so do I , I live in East Millwood Road. Speke, almost opposite the old Ford Factory.

I Bench tested the modules attached in pics, today...coupled up correctly in the wiring sequence , with Two coils, just as a precaution... not in tandem, I mean each unit 1 at a time, the Linwood is operative in as much as the lights display, but the better unit Sparkrite does not light however I per-mutate the wiring.. the circuit board is immaculate, no apparent signs of shorting etc, but the diode bulbs look to me as the fly in the ointment... I am uncertain as to progress, I am not a Gob Shit..by any means Dave... but some times one has to seek knowledge to achieve ones goals in life...I haven't done to bad in my lifes efforts.. I am proud to say, I have another couple of vehicles with Lumenition Ignitions one them, been on them 35 years... but the price these days for replacing them is ridiculous £178 for items I originally bought under £ 40.

My final question is Dave.. can You Help ?

View attachment 140095

fixitnow

Joined Dec 9, 2020

View attachment 140095
original build plans for SX2000 added

Attachments

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
The Sparkrite being roughly ~40-years old,
probably needs to have all of the Capacitors replaced, they do have a finite life expectancy,
and it's amazing that they have lasted this long.

If you'd rather take the easy way out ..................
Here's what You need,
a simple modern Capacitor-Discharge-Box with Multi-Spark-Output ~$150.oo
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850620