14 years of leisure...

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
One company I worked for normally had managers hand out payroll checks. About once a year someone from the the accounting department would hand out each check personally.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
We have a local guy who abused his power and caused his city (employer) to be sued. He appealed his firing and won. Now he repeated the same act. City was sued by his new victim and the employee was fired. Now employee is appealing again to get his job back and the city is forced by a judge to pay him during his appeal (as he stays home).
Some jerks never learn...

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
What part of his job description stated he could be terminated because of the city being sued?

If he was outside the boundaries of his job requirements they should have fired him.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The city did fire him. The courts forced him back into his position. Nobody can explain how/why the court made the decision that was made. The former boss was dumbfounded at the court decision.
Did the city actually lose the first time it was sued? How much did it have to pay?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I agree he was harmless.

The legislative branch(es) need to be part time ... service, not profession. We now have professional politicians.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Oh man, the frustration... please don't go there... sometimes I feel like a prisoner in my own country...
This seems like a good topic for today (because I'm too sore to do physical work). If I "should" have a dozen U.S. business licenses for the repairs I do in a year, how would that play out in Mexico? The last time I looked, there was no regulation in Tijuana and, "Building Permit" meant, "bribe"...but that was 40 years ago.

This seems relevant to the Thread because I think too many bureaucrats and politicians try to justify their pay by making up lots of unnecessary laws and regulations. If most of them stayed home, we wouldn't have the recent Law allowing children to walk to school, which was passed into Law to defeat a Law that made it a crime to let children be anywhere without direct supervision. The Rutherford Institute(.com?) has a paper posted explaining that most people break at least 3 laws a day without knowing it. There are so many laws here that when I was rinsing out my lawn mower and a police car drove by, I instinctively hid because I can never know when somebody will pass a law against cleaning your tools when you finish a job.:eek:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
many bureaucrats and politicians try to justify their pay by making up lots of unnecessary laws and regulations
That's very much the way things work down here too. Except that when you actually meet all of those regulations, and try to do things legally, then what they will do is delay delay delay EVERYTHING... telling you that those permits are being processed (sometimes it takes years) and that in the meantime, if you wish to speed things up a little, a "donation" would be in order.
When that happens, they'll let you do your thing without bothering you at first, but after you get things up and running, "inspectors" start showing up, telling you that your permits have not been completed yet, and that more "donations" are necessary.

You see, it's not in their best interest to actually grant you those permits, because the moment they finally liberate them, their steady source of income dries out.

Things have been improving lately, though. And probably the last permits that operate in such a clandestine way anymore are related to alcohol sales in mom-and-pop's small supply stores, small restaurants, and the like. And of course, there are parts of this country that are far more civilized than the average rest.

Bad as things are, they're far better than the Mexico that I remember from the 60's and 70's.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That's very much the way things work down here too. Except that when you actually meet all of those regulations, and try to do things legally, then what they will do is delay delay delay EVERYTHING... telling you that those permits are being processed (sometimes it takes years) and that in the meantime, if you wish to speed things up a little, a "donation" would be in order.
When that happens, they'll let you do your thing without bothering you at first, but after you get things up and running, "inspectors" start showing up, telling you that your permits have not been completed yet, and that more "donations" are necessary.

You see, it's not in their best interest to actually grant you those permits, because the moment they finally liberate them, their steady source of income dries out.

Things have been improving lately, though. And probably the last permits that operate in such a clandestine way anymore are related to alcohol sales in mom-and-pop's small supply stores, small restaurants, and the like. And of course, there are parts of this country that are far more civilized than the average rest.

Bad as things are, they're far better than the Mexico that I remember from the 60's and 70's.
Do you also have problems with getting things imported? My friend lived in Antigua. Pretty much everything there needs to be shipped in when you order it. If he ordered something like a computer, it would end up costing him nearly twice what he paid for it. First there were the high taxes on imports. Then he would need to pay the customs office to make sure the computer did not get "stolen".

He also had to pay to get some to hook up the phone, cable etc or else he would have waited for years.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
when you actually meet all of those regulations, and try to do things legally,
This reminds me of one time I went to the Division of Motor Vehicles to get a temporary license plate so I could get an emission check on a car I was rehabilitating. I was just trying to obey the law by getting the tailpipe sniffed and trying to obey the law by having a proper license plate to drive the car to the emissions inspection. The first thing I heard was, "This is the last one you're going to get." Thanks. This is the first one I ever asked for. Are you saying there is a "one per person per lifetime" limit on temporary license plates, or just a limit of one for this car? She didn't answer.

Then the lady demanded that I swear the odometer was correct, and it wasn't. I had replaced half the dashboard instruments, but I signed, anyway. When I sold the car, I crossed out the perjury and the DMV made me pay for a title to replace the one I told the truth on and another title to transfer ownership to the buyer.

I guess that was when I decided to do whatever the bureaucrat says, then do it my way after he/she has signed off on the paperwork. This has never caused a problem because my standards of workmanship are higher than the standards of my government. They think their job is to write a law controlling every aspect of the world and human behavior. I don't.