12VDC to 400VDC Voltage Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

physicsguy

Joined Feb 9, 2013
Hi,

I'm kinda new to designing electronics circuits. I'm currently working on building a coil gun, for my end of semester presentation for my E&M class; but I'm having some trouble. I'm using five 400V 220 μF caps, and I've read that I will need a power source of about 400V to charge them fully. I'm using D batteries as the power source (currently 8, for 12V total). Is there a way to cheaply (under $20ish) to boost the batteries up to the required voltage? If I need to increase or decrease the input voltage, I can. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for your help.

p.s. I'm actually hoping of bringing this in to a local elementary school, when I give a presentation on magnetism, on February 19th. So if there is a quick way to accomplish my need, it would be awesome!!

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
POWER= Volts x Amps. We know the voltage is 400V but what is the current?

You can use a power oscillator driving a transformer to convert 12V to 400V. Then rectify the AC into dC.

Maybe the 400V current must be 1A. Then the 12v battery must supply (400V/12V) x 1A= 33.3A! No way that D cells can supply that high current.

mattbullet

Joined Nov 29, 2008
This is my first post also.
I have built a coil gun and rail gun in the past. They are really awsome.
I CANT in good concience help with a possible extra hole in some young
School kid.
Besides I think this is a banned topic.

LOCK OUT - TAGOUT that monster.

Matt

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

bertus