12VDC to 110VAC Inverter

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
How would you determine the quality or efficiency of a power inverter. I'm in the market for a 1000W - 2000W inverter but don't want to buy some inefficient version.

Any insight or suggestions?

iONic

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I've had great luck with Tripp-Lite PowerVerter series.

Just make sure that the 1000W rating is for 100% Duty cycle, and not peak, Tripp-Lite typically doesn't over-rate to the level others do (just like audio amps).

2000W Model, random store

Bit over $400 shipped.
Some specs:
Receptacles2 x NEMA 5-20RProtection TypeOverload Protection - Circuit breakerInput Voltage12 V DCInput Voltage Range10 to 15 V DCOutput Voltage120 V AC ±5 NominalFrequency60 Hz ±0.3%Input Current2.20 Ato 200 A @ 12 V DCLoad Capacity2 kW Continuous Power / 4 kW Peak PowerWaveform TypePulse-width Modulated Sine WaveColorBlackDimensions7.30" Height x 8.50" Width x 16.50" DepthWeight (Approximate)36.50 lb

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I wouldn't say "crap", but it doesn't have the protections that the Tripp-Lite offers.

I'd only trust it at about 750W instead of 1500W, due to the simple fact the specs say "1500W for up to 24 hours", that means it doesn't have enough heat-sinking ability, and not continual duty. If forced air circulation was added, it may last longer too.

Depends on what you want to run to decide if it is "good enough" though. I wouldn't trust it for Super Critical systems, like web-browsing.:p

With Tripp-Lite, you are paying probably 10% or so just for the name, but there's a reason that name is worth the extra bit.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I believe there are inverters out there ranging from pure square wave (cheapest) to pure sine wave (uber expensive). In between are simulated (stair-step) sine waves. If the device you're powering is sensitive, this might matter to you.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
The device I was planning on operating was my washing machine.
It's max. wattage was about 500W but during spin cycles. The current averaged about 2A topping out at about 6A. It's the front loading kind.

Is a modified sine-wave good enough for a computer???

iONic

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The device I was planning on operating was my washing machine.
It's max. wattage was about 500W but during spin cycles. The current averaged about 2A topping out at about 6A. It's the front loading kind.

Is a modified sine-wave good enough for a computer???

iONic
Yeah, I've ran computers off MSW without problems, I think 10 Hours was the max when the genset was down, but nothing went wrong.