12vdc servo motor control from 5vdc signal

dingy

Joined Oct 25, 2010
I have a 12vdc servo motor (locked rotor 1.6 amp) 7.5KΩ pot on shaft.

I would like to build a circuit to control the position of this servo motor with a 5vdc output signal. The 5vdc output has the ability to ramp up its voltage from 0-5 on a 10 point user input curve.

At 0vdc out put from 5v system I would like servo fully retract, as voltage increases to 5vdc output servo motor increases to fully extend.

Looking for somewhat low cost, $20 or less if possible.

I have 5vdc & 12vdc power available.

What would it take to do this?

Gary

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
My take is that servo is a linear push-pull, moror is brushed 12V DC, the 7.5k pot wiper tracks the full length of plunger travel.??
Basic set-up is a window comparator, invertor, & H-bridge. In addition an operational amplifier could be used to give an absolute V for differential input to allow speed control, [ PWM ] & a dead zone to inhibit hunting- would eleminate need for "window" on comparator. Anothet thought: use 2, single V supply OP-Amps, gain between 10 & 100, with inputs paralled but inverted, outputs diode ORd to give an input to a V controlled PWM speed control. Est $ 5.00 in parts.

Last edited:

dingy

Joined Oct 25, 2010
1st picture is of new control modules program screen that I want to control servo motor from.

2nd & 3rd are of servo motor. 12vdc motor on servo unit.Resistor is tied to end of output shaft.

The motor RPM causes the control module to output a configurable voltage when a configurable RPM is attained.

5V is maximum possible setting in software.

Gary

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Is the output shaft allowed to make more than one revolution?
Is there something like a rack & pinion to convert rotary motion to linear motion? " retract & extend"

dingy

Joined Oct 25, 2010
The output shaft makes about 270 degree rotation full travel.

The output shaft has a spool on it that retracts a small cable, which then operates another mechanism. The other mechanism is spring loaded to keep cable tight as servo moves back & forth.

Gary

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The simplest version that I can think of is a comparator & H bridge [ Alegro UDN2962W, 4A, up to 45V, only $1.49 @ The Electronic Goldmine SN: G18502 ]. Additional cktry can be added to limit hunting & control speed.

I have Written a code to controll servos but I used Dspic 30f4011 ..
its works fine ..just holla if u need it ... now I working on a different project ..Photovoltaic charge controller ..