12v Wiring Project Please Help.

mplayerpro

Joined Jun 1, 2009
I am purchasing all the parts I believe I need to wire this thing up, but need some help.

Below is a list of the parts I will be using:

12v Light, with cigarette plug, specs below.

Lamp Type35 Watt DC Lamp JC12V35 Mount TypeShoe Mount Power Source12 VDC Power Consumption35 Watts Power ConnectorCigarette Lighter Plug Dimensions (WxDxH)2.5 x 3 x 4"
6.4 x 7.62 x 10.2cm Weight6 ounces
170 grams
Remote System

Specifications:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/jassdoit/Miscellaneous/2032_36059257.jpg?t=1229317324

• [*]Model: Logisys RM02 Wireles Molex Remote Kit C7265
    [*]General Features:
    • Remote On and Off Control
    • Compatible with 12 Volt DC devices
    • Works with computer accessories, auto lighting kits, or other electronics
    • High quality micro key fob construction similar to automotive keyless entry systems
    • Easy to wire with basic electrical wiring knowledge
    [*]Specifications:
    • Receiver Input Voltage: 12VDC
    • Receiver Output Voltage: 12VDC
    • Receiver Output Current: 15 Amp Maximum
    [*]Receiver Wiring:
    • Red: +12VDC In
    • White: +12VDC Out
    • Black: Ground
    • Black: Ground
    • Blue: Antenna
    • Handset Battery: Type VR22/CN22/CN32A or Equivalent
    • Handset Controls: On and Off Buttons
Car Battery 12v

So in order for his to work, I would assume the remote switch relay would be connected to the battery and then to the light. What would be the best procedure to do this and what type of connectors would be beneficial for this type of setup? I would also assume it would be best to fuse off the battery as well. Someone mentioned to me that they would use RCA connectors to do this, but im not sure, that's why im here hoping to get some help.

Im new to this whole thing, so please explain in laymen terms if possible. Thank you!

Mike Mandaville

Joined May 27, 2009
Hello Mplayerpro, and welcome to the forum. It looks to me like it is your intention to install this light in a motor vehicle, which seems simple enough, since it just plugs in with the cigarette plug, but then you also want to incorporate a wireless remote which looks much like the one which my mother has for her car, and which I am sure must be common to many other automobiles. Again, this appears to be straightforward enough.

Since the cigarette lighter socket is already fused, why don't you just wire everything from there? What I mean is, first you could cut the wire which goes from the cigarette plug to the light. Then you could take the plug wire, plug it in, and test it to see which lead is hot. That will be the + wire for your receiver. The other of course will be the ground. I think that you can figure it out from there.

mplayerpro

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Im sorry I forgot to mention, this is not going into a vehicle. Its actually going to be installed onto a light stand. So the light would be powered by the car battery. The purpose of this is to have a lighting rig for low light areas that can be activated on and off remotely.

Mike Mandaville

Joined May 27, 2009
Im sorry I forgot to mention, this is not going into a vehicle. Its actually going to be installed onto a light stand. So the light would be powered by the car battery. The purpose of this is to have a lighting rig for low light areas that can be activated on and off remotely.
Hello again, Mplayerpro. Well, in that case, your idea of adding a fuse is a good one, although my main concern now would be the battery. Do you have a charger for it? Do you have a direct current volt meter for it? I think that you probably should be able to get by for a couple of months or so in between charges, depending upon the condition of the battery, although when the voltage drops, it will drop quickly. The battery should not be overcharged, and if the voltage drops below 9.6 volts, it will no longer take a full charge. It might be that you already understand all of this, but I just want to make sure.