12v to 24v smart charger

childsplay

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Hi All

Please can you help me? I need to build a 12v to 24v smart charger. I do know how to build a normal 12v and 24v charger. I need to combine the two (2) and set limits on it. Please help me!?

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
In other words, you want a charger that can charge either 12V or 24V batteries? Or are you looking to charge a 24V battery with a 12V source? And what battery chemistry, and what do you mean by "Smart"? Lot of questions, I know...but guidance would be difficult without this information.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I thought he wanted a charger that would charge 12v and 24v batteries WHILE doing his math homework and solving the worlds problems... now THAT would be a SMART charger!

Back to reality:

You DO have to decide what the SUPPLY voltage and available current is. AND what chemistry batteries you wish to charge.

There are many "smart charger ICs" on the market that will incorporate temperature, time, current, and voltage into the charging algorithm.

BUT, you are the designer, tell us what you are trying to do, what you mean by smart, and what chemistry you wish to charge.

(As iONic said)