12V Signalling (transistor as a switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

altontoth

Joined Apr 11, 2009
So, I have a circuit that should work, but I'm kinda stuck. I want to drive a strip of LEDs (input 12V, maximum brightness at 0.45A) to use it as a combination tail light / turn signal on my scooter. As such, I want them to be on all the time, and essentially blink off when 12V is applied to the turn signal wire. I'm working on these one side at a time, and a duplicate circuit will be built for the other side.

The circuit I have now is using a TIP32C PNP transistor, with the emitter tied to 12V (tail light), and the collector going to the LED strips, then to ground. The base has two resistors on it, one each going to ground, and to the 12V (turn signal). I can get the LED's to blink properly, but only if I use resistor values that result in the LED strips only being about 75% brightness. If I use resistors to get the LED strip to full brightness, I can only get them to turn 'off' to about 80% brightness.

I think the route that I may have chosen is the wrong one, and I'm half tempted to just go buy some 12V relays, but I'd rather not. Help? Thanks in advance!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus