12V DC Refrigerated ESKY

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Bit of topic but wondering if Waeco portable camping fridges are sold in Amarica?. I had one that the foam insulation had absorbed moisture & didnt work real well any more. But I had a Fibreglas insulated Esky that had double the insulation thickness to the Waeco. Dismantled the Waeco & fitted the compressor/cond unit to the end of the esky, & fitted the Evap in side. Now works far better than the Waeco ever did.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The ones I've seen around here tend to be the inefficient TEC units with fans on both sides.

I even have a TEC meant for one of these units kicking around. It uses 12VDC at 4A. I was thinking of using it as a cooler for my computer case.

Attachments

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Camping fridge!??!
I don't consider that camping at all.

As for your question, I've never seen them, but I've never looked for them either.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I just found out that you can get ride-on coolers in America!
Not much call for that sort of thing over here, it doesn't get warm very often.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I just found out that you can get ride-on coolers in America!
Not much call for that sort of thing over here, it doesn't get warm very often.
This gives me a bizarre mental picture of self-propelled refrigerators or freezers that someone can sit on, perhaps useful for those long journeys from the larder to the cooking stove. Is the average American home really so big that motorized transportation is required for such operations? Can these coolers be operated on public highways, and if so, does one require a full driver's licence to operate them?

Are these things electrically powered? Do they use petrol (gasoline), l.p.g. or even diesel engines? If an internal combustion engine is employed, what arrangements are required to avoid excessive pollution of the kitchen atmosphere?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Dont people take portable refrigeration camping in USA ? Here in Australia the portable refrigeration market is huge. The main contenders are Waeco & Engel portable fridge/freezers, in compressor type 12V DC.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Dont people take portable refrigeration camping in USA ? Here in Australia the portable refrigeration market is huge. The main contenders are Waeco & Engel portable fridge/freezers, in compressor type 12V DC.
Most just use coolers and ice.
(everyone I know anyway)

I personally don't consider it camping if you have heating or cooling or more electricity than a flashlight.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
For some camping is driving your car to some place where "camping" is prepared. Then packing out all the gear and walk maximum a few 100 meters. Others like a more back to the nature style. Packing all you need in a rucksack, and then go for it. So to speak. The first option is just camping and not very "living in the wild". But it can still be something you can enjoy.
So both way has its charms