12v DC Pump for Headlight Washers

Status
Not open for further replies.

l4c

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Hello

I'm trying to install headlight washers in my car and I need a few tips.

What I'm trying to do is this:

1-Headlight washer pump receives signal from windscreen washer pump trough a relay (got that bit figured out already);
2-Headlight washer pump runs in one direction for 1 second, stops, then runs 1 second in the opposite direction and stops again. I don't want this cycle to repeat itself even if the windscreen washer pump is still working.
3- If the windscreen pump stops and later starts working again I want the cycle to repeat itself.

What I'm trying to achieve is water coming out of one pump exit at the time so I can have the maximum water pressure for each headlight washer.

I hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to do. What is the easier way to achieve this?

Thank you :)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
you have a pump with one input and 2 outputs?
Every pump I've seen has one input and one output. So if you ran it forward for 1 sec and then backward for one sec you'd just be moving water around back and forth to the tank.

l4c

Joined Jun 27, 2012
The electrical connector for the pump has two wires, one 12v and the other one ground.
The pump has two water exits. If you spin the motor in one direction the water flows trough one exit, if you spin it in the other direction the water flows trough the other exit.

l4c

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Only two.
It's a pump like this one:

The pump draws water from the tank through a hole underneath, the pump is mounted directly on the tank.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
How were you planning on plumbing it? From what I can tell, you're going to need a directional valve as well, or else you're going to be pumping from the left headlight to the right headlight for 1 sec and then from the right headlight to the left for one sec. How is the pump supposed to draw from the tank?

l4c

Joined Jun 27, 2012
The motor inside the pump draws water from the tank. When the motor spins in one direction the water flows through one exit. If I reverse the polarity the motor still draws water from the tank but sends it through the other exit instead.

What I need is something that makes the motor run in one direction for 1 sec, stop, reverse the polarity then run for another sec.

l4c

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Every pump I've seen has one input and one output.
Thanks for your reply buddy, it's really useful to repeat what others just said.
Anyway, I guess you haven't seen a lot of pumps so there's a pic a few posts up of a pump with two water exits.
And another one here:

Water enters the pump through the grey pipe and exits trough the white or black one, depending on the spinning direction of the motor inside.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
you could probably get away with using a couple of 555 timer IC's and a DPDT relay to create your "delayed" switching......

l4c

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for your reply. If you can get me a wiring diagram it would be really useful. I'm fairly new to this stuff.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
<sigh>

The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.