12v dc 200ma output to 13v dc 1.3a motor?

artistwood

Joined May 31, 2009
I'm thinking the answer to this is obvious, but I want to make sure.
I have a 120v AC to 12v DC 200ma output converter plug that I thought about using to run a 13v DC 1.3a aquarium water pump. I hooked it up just to test it out and the pump ran fine and nothing felt hot, but I'm worried it may overload the converter and burn my house down. That wouldn't be good. Think I can get away with that, or should I buy the right converter?
Thanks

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
The numbers do't add up, possible mis labling.Can you measure pump voltage while pumping water? As it stands the "converter" should be getting hot with the connected load.

artistwood

Joined May 31, 2009
Yeah, I'm not going to chance it with the low amp source. I originally wanted to use a Staco model PS-4 filtered power supply (120V 60Hz 72 watts input to 12 VDC 4 AMPS output) which would've been perfect for my aquarium pump. But, when I plug it in, even with no load, the output terminals get extremely hot! Case is riveted, so I'll have to drill out the rivets if I want to try and fix it. (says no user serviceable parts inside, but I don't believe it.) Any advice?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Sounds like a partial short inside the case. Those terminals getting hot with nothing attached sounds like a problem inside.