120v Temperature Controlled Switch

scottjk

Joined Oct 17, 2010
I'm working a little project that I need help with. I'm new to electronic circuit design and would appreciate any direction I can get.

I need a 120v receptacle that will switch off when a certain temperature is reached via a thermistor. I would like the circuit to get it's power from 120v volt supply. The end project will have a small box with a wire leading to the thermistor. The box will plug in to a 120v outlet. A 120v accessory will be plugged in to the box and will turn on and off when the thermistor reaches a certain temperature.

Thanks

S

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
first off, you agree that an isolation transformer supplies the sensor/control circuit. From there, you compare a voltage reference (variable if so desired) against your thermistor, then switch either a relay or solid state switch with isolation.

If it's simply on/off, then a comparator will work, but if you want some kind of closed loop heat/cool circuit, you may want to consider a PID capable controller.
turn on and off when the thermistor reaches a certain temperature.
Do you mean blink at some rate when temp reached?

scottjk

Joined Oct 17, 2010
No, not blink. Just turn off the 120v receptacle when 85 degree water temperature is sensed and keep power off until it drops below 85 degrees.

Thanks

Scott

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009