120v 60Hz Sine Wave low power inverter

peterb33

Joined Jun 10, 2009
I would like to make a low power 60Hz 120v supply to drive a synchronous electric clock. My mains is 230v 50Hz so I cannot use it direct.

I have tried various circuits with limited success, it really needs to be a sine wave as square waves make it very noisy. I have driven various transformers from amplifiers including an emmiter follower from a good 60Hz sine wave source and I can produce an ac wave of good shape and voltage until I connect the clock to the secondary of the transformer when it then becomes very distorted on my scope. The clock motor is around 1k resistance and rated at 2.5w.

Anyone any suggestions?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Interesting project!

Might I suggest replacing the 120v 60Hz sync motor with a 240v 50Hz motor? That would be the most standard way of converting it. The small microwave turntable motors might fit, if you contact a local TV/microwave repairer he should have a calalog that shows a huge range of motors complete with body and shaft dimensions shown etc as that is how these motors are normally chosen for replacement.

Otherwise you could search on google or ebay?

Making a drive circuit would be a last resort I think.

peterb33

Joined Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

I had thought about that but the motor is a bit dedicated to the unit (unless someone else know different?) and I have not been able to find one small enough with the right ratio to fit