120 VAC to 5 VDC Bridge

zpriddy1

Joined Aug 20, 2009
Hello

I am working on a project and i need to go from 120 VAC to 5 VDC, i have been looking at building a rectifier instead of using a transformer because of my space restrictions. I understand the concept of how to build one, but after i convert it to DC i will be at ≈86 VDC and most of the vregs that i have look at can not handle that voltage, I am looking for any other suggestions on how to do this,

Thanks!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The suggestion is that you not do that, as it is inherently unsafe. By not including isolation from the line, you risk a lethal shock anytime you come in contact with any part of the circuit. There is no way to make such a circuit safe to the user.

zpriddy1

Joined Aug 20, 2009
The user would not be in contact with the circuit.. There is a 1 button interface which would communicate with a micro

zpriddy1

Joined Aug 20, 2009
The size constraints that i am under are about the size of a light switch, but i need to have room for more then just the 120 VAC to 5 VDC, i also need to put the other components for the unit in there..

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You do not quite grasp the problem - the circuit can deliver a lethal shock to the user. It cannot be made to operate safely or to fail safe. There is a lethal shock hazard in any mode of operation.

You say that this is a simple circuit -
There is a 1 button interface which would communicate with a micro
Surely the microprocessor's DC supply can also be used for the switch?

Why would isolation from the line be necessary? Using some simple diodes with some caps one can easily transform AC into DC. After that it is a simple matter of using a voltage divider to drop the voltage down, this can even be done in multiple steps, the first step going from 80 V to about 30 V, to 10 V, and then into a standard linear voltage regulator, if each step has another cap to help smooth out the spikes the voltage going into the vreg is going to be pretty clean.

What would be so dangerous about that? I have seen it implemented on plenty of automatic timer switches that are being sold at HomeDepot and other places. Are you suggesting that they are doing it wrong?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Without galvanic isolation provided by a step down transformer, a circuit that is attached to the line is at line potential relative to ground. Any contact with part of that circuit results in coming in contact with a lethal voltage.

A manufacturer may choose to dispense with isolation and use a plastic case and legal notification about "no user serviceable parts inside" as a liability limiter. This site can't guarantee that an inexperience experimenter would not cause harm to himself or another person is attempting to rectify and regulate line voltage.

Our rules have it that
Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.
We see creating lethal shock hazards as falling within that area. You cannot use a circuit connected to the AC line safely. It always presents a lethal hazard.

And DC is not harmful at all? ... Seems kinda short-sighted and without merit. DC can be just as damaging as AC. Did you get your education from Edison?