• Option 1

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello.

I have two 12 volts CFL rated as 5 watts. I know there is totally no polarity.

If there is ever is. Please tell it to me. If not, please vote for the best choice...

Option 1

Option 2

Please vote...

Reasons (optional)

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I looked through 5 manufacturer's websites and none show the polarity for these DC light bulbs. So maybe they are made with a bridge rectifier so polarity doesn't matter?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If the circuit doesn't have a rectifier bridge or an "idiot" diode in series or parallel (to blow the fuse) then its inverter circuit will probably blow up with reversed polarity.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Did he maybe leave the 0 off the 120?
making it AC?
or is it really nonpolar?
Of course, you could just use an incandecent and save the trouble.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
12V compact fluorescent light bulbs are used in motor homes.
They use 10W to 14W of power to make the same amount of light as a 60W incandescent light bulb "heater".

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The votes are useless because nobody has said they have measured the polarity of one of these light bulbs so they are only guessing.

I looked in Google (why don't school kids look in Google?) and found some that have polarity protection and others that do not.

Attachments

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
The votes are useless because nobody has said they have measured the polarity of one of these light bulbs so they are only guessing.

I looked in Google (why don't school kids look in Google?) and found some that have polarity protection and others that do not.
But it doesn't tell where is the negative and positive terminal.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Find one with polarity protection that you can buy.

Or find one that you can buy and look online at its manufacturer's datasheet.

The Phocos bulb photo that I posted shows that its end terminal is positive and the screw threads are negative. Maybe all polarity sensitive DC CFL bulbs are wired like that or maybe all polarity sensitive ones are marked with the required polarity.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Find one with polarity protection that you can buy.

Or find one that you can buy and look online at its manufacturer's datasheet.

The Phocos bulb photo that I posted shows that its end terminal is positive and the screw threads are negative. Maybe all polarity sensitive DC CFL bulbs are wired like that or maybe all polarity sensitive ones are marked with the required polarity.
The one that I have purchased is the one that have polarity protection. But I asked it because the owner of the hardware told that it's have polarity. but when i check the box, there is no attention for polarity. :) so i test it and all works fine. :)

soundman

Joined Dec 27, 2010
Common lampwire has a slight bump on the neutral side that is wired to the thread of a lamp base and since the lamp in the photo looks like a typical lamp base I'm voting for the center as +.