12 volt resistor

Thread Starter


Joined Oct 19, 2008
I have an 12 volt brake control to operate the brakes on my trailer and I would like to find a resister to lower the power goint to the trailer. This used to be a common item for this purpose but I can't find one. Also is there anything that will keep current from coming back from the trailer to the controller but still let current go to the trailer? Linda


Joined Feb 4, 2008
Yes you can use a diode to let the current flow in one direction only but it would be helpful to post a schematic of your circuit and the voltage and current requirements.


Joined Apr 20, 2004
You can use a diode to isolate the controller. I have no idea about the resistor you want. Have you asked at an auto parts store?


Joined Apr 20, 2004
A local Radio Shack can sell you the diode. I can't tell you the current, but one good for 6 amps should be enough. Don't sweat the voltage - you've only got 12. Cheapest way out is often a bridge rectifier. A big 400 volt 35 amp bridge is as cheap as one 6 amp single diode. To isolate the controller, connect the + terminal to the controller, and either AC terminal to the trailer.

No guess about that resistor, though.