12 Volt DC in to 120 Volt DC or AC out...??

wilga12

Joined Jan 11, 2011
Well,... it may be a situation where I, once again, failed to come up with the best "Search Term" to tickle the fancy of the "Puter" ,...But, after searching the archives here on "A A Circuits" I found nothing that comes close to answering this query...

The situation is one I'm sure you all have been exposed to before,..." Not enough info"...
This is likely going to be in your response to me,...But here goes...

I have in my hand a NOS (New Old Stock) Voltage converter that's designed to be used in the auto/Marine world,...IE... 12 Volts DC in and a proposed 120 Volts DC out,...pretty slick for the operation of power tools drills,saws vacuum cleaners and the like... I thought so too..!

Here's the obstacle...: I can no longer locate the hook up directions to this yet unused piece of gear... And Yes,... I've been down the road to try to find a telephone number or E-mail connection to the manufacturer,...to no avail.. ( I'm fairly sure,at this point, that they are no longer still in business..)

There are seven different wires (In a single group) that emit from the roughly 3" by 4" plastic case that also contains a single switch to select either 12 Volts DC or 120 Volts DC,...(not to be switched while the engine is running).and a lil Red indicator light. So,... it's not a case of just a power wire and a ground or two. (If needed, I can list the wire colors and guages)

This lil converter was produced by 3B&D Products Inc,Out of Ogallala,Nebraska...Probably about the late sixties or early seventies... The package lists several different brands of automotive alternator systems that this piece is appropriate for IE...Ford,Delco.Chrysler,Chrysler with electronic regulators,as well as Bosch..

So, my request of you fine electronic/electrical folks is this...
What is your best guess as to where I would find a link to some or all of my missing hook up info,(or can someone here, direct my hands for the hook up..??)...Seven wires,(a couple or three of a much heavier wire guage) leave a lot of different wiring combinations,... and as you've probably guessed, electricity,...Is not my Forte

Thanks so much, for all who may become involved,here,...................... Dave.. or wilga12

wilga12

Joined Jan 11, 2011
R!F,Thanks for the come-back

I can take a digi pic of it,... but I've recently had my "Puter" wiped clean and don't have all the old programming re-installed yet... So therefore I'm stopped short of getting the picture to you... I also,... just yesterday, installed said converter under the hood of my "Jeep" not real sure just how much you'd be able to see in the pic..??

If I were real "Puter" savy I could get the re-programing up in short order,...But,alas...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U see.. I tend to do best when I see the stuff...
and folks here also like to see pictures, it gets them going pretty easily.

wilga12

Joined Jan 11, 2011
OK,...I understand,...it must be a derivitive of the old "Out sight,...Outa mind"...thing,..No..??

When I get back to the house,... after all my daily chores are done I'll dig in to re-installation and if "Murphy" will leave me alone for just a lil bit,...I might be able to deliver my first pics of the New Year"...!

There is sooo little info on the net concerning this unit (That I've found,anyway) that I can't even give you a link to go to..!

wilga12

wilga12

Joined Jan 11, 2011
Really,???....You did hear of some cases of sudden alternator death..?? How about this you all out there..?? Is this pretty common knowledge of this type of product..??

I'm all ears on this guys..!! Tanks..... wilga12

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I agree with the Sgt, there are better ways to get 120v, and ac at that.
I would use an inverter, they are stable voltage wise and readily available in many different sizes.
Your device requires the motor to be running, and a inverter can be used with the motor shut off (short term/light loads).

wilga12

Joined Jan 11, 2011
Well,... Yes and no,...Adjuster..

Mine might simply be an older version, of the same model,...Mine says CVP-1 on it, like the one in the pic,... but mine has only a single receptical and no metal faceplate (or metallic looking sticker)

All the description wording seems to be the same, though.

I'll have to admit,... that I'm starting to lean in the direction described by S.W., and Gerty ...Thanks, for your two inputs,Guys...

Along those lines,... When I get ready to purchase my inverter and I'm needing to cover the electrical requirements of my electric Impact wrench,...which is 7.5 amps (Nominal) I'll be needing a 1000 watt inverter,Right fellas..??

What the heck does "Nominal" mean in this context..?

wilga12

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"Nominal" means something like, "under normal running conditions". Problem is, tools go through a lot of different conditions when running. If you are lucky, this nominal is when the wrench is slamming a stuck bolt as hard as it can for most of a minute.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
After looking at the link I would be very wary, its designed to disconect the 12v output of the altenator from the battery & feed it to the line sockets. The control box excites the altenator to put out 110V DC. This will work most electric drills & grinders & lights. BUT you need to know that the particular altenator diodes can handle that voltage, some can some cant. Here in Aust Bosh altenators could handle these mods & were converted to DC welding use as well.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You will be best served by a 1kW inverter, the prices aren't insane on them, but are a bit steep. If you find a 1kW inverter for under $60, it is most likely 1kW PEAK power, e.g. it can only sustain that power for a second or two. What you are looking for is more of a 1.5kW to 2kW Peak Rated inverter, with continual duty at 1kW.

This level of power will not run through a lighter/power outlet jack, they need to be wired directly to the battery with heavy gauge wire. Your battery will also run down rather quickly, so idling the engine will help.

Sometimes, simply getting cordless tools, or air tools and a gas powered compressor make better overall economic sense.

The "Alternator mod" AC outlet units that were out in the 70's essentially took the high voltage 3 phase power from the alternator and provided an outlet, then passed the remainder to the voltage regulator for the rest of the car to use. This was very hard on the alternators.

With modern alternators, your outlet box probably wouldn't be functional, due to the number of sensors around, as well as internal regulators on the alternator. Overall, it was a "OK item at the time", but now that we have high speed/high power switching supplies, the old type have been made basically obsolete.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
After looking at the link I would be very wary, its designed to disconect the 12v output of the altenator from the battery & feed it to the line sockets. The control box excites the altenator to put out 110V DC. This will work most electric drills & grinders & lights. BUT you need to know that the particular altenator diodes can handle that voltage, some can some cant. Here in Aust Bosh altenators could handle these mods & were converted to DC welding use as well.
Good grief, I hadn't read the small print! Given the description, and the fact that the contraption may be about 40 years old, I would not recommend anyone to use this device.

wilga12

Joined Jan 11, 2011
Thankyou,..all for your contributions. I now see the situation in a lil different light and realize that I really don't want to give "Murphy" any easy shots at my alternator.

That's if the alternator in my '94 Pathfinder would have even been able to be converted...

I believe that I will assume a new tac,...and find a 1KW or 1000 watt inverter,... to handle the duties.

Just this evening I uninstalled the lil black box and am now out shopping the net for an inverter...

Adios,Amigos.................................Dave or wilga12