12 vdc timer circuit

aurorathor

Joined Feb 18, 2010
I need a simple 12VDC circuit to extend the time of a normaly open circuit by about 2 sec. My wife's office has an electronic door strike to open the employee door tied to a keypad. The keypad is basicaly a normaly open relay. My problem is that the keypad doesn't give enough time to open the door. 2 seconds or so should be plenty of time.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
There should be a potentiometer to adjust the length of time for the door open cycle.

Is it a magnetic type or a "buzzer" type?

aurorathor

Joined Feb 18, 2010
i guess you would call it a "buzzer", the door strike opens to let the latch pass by. there is no timer on the latch or keypad.

the first pic is the strike open (with power applied)

the second is closed (no power)

Attachments

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The thing is, you will need to use the existing wiring to trip a circuit that will allow the solenoid to stay energized longer. You should look on the circuit board to see if there are any POTs that adjust how long the solenoid is energized. It wouldn't be on the catch.

This is the type?:

Last edited:

aurorathor

Joined Feb 18, 2010
that is the type, i didn't see any pot on the latch it is simply a solenoid. using the existing wiring is no prob, i am the one who put it in in the first place

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
On the keypad.. The keypad usually has a few dip switches or jumpers to select between times.

Some newer keypads allow programming. You press a few buttons or hold two at the same time then you can choose (usually between 4 times) the length.

aurorathor

Joined Feb 18, 2010
the problem is that this keypad is designed for an auto gate opener that only needs a pulse, I made it work with the strike. the only dips i see are for wireless transmitter fq

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Cmos 555 will give you 200ma to use on the relay coil.

Your very welcome. If you want to change the timing, you can change the cap and resistors. But if six sec is good, then your set.