12 V 1.25 Supply

ihateCaptcha

Joined May 10, 2010
I have a 12 volt, 1.25 amp supply for my wireless router. Every two weeks or so, the zener diode inside shorts out. I'm tired of replacing it. Is this because I plug it directly into the outlet with no protection or is it a design flaw. Will buying a proper UPS solve my issue ? Thank you for reading this. :)

ihateCaptcha

Joined May 10, 2010
the diode is placed at the very end of the circuit. (just before the output) and it's a 1n4004 (if I see it correctly). Of course the easy solution is to buy it online, but for the sake of tinkering, I'd like to know what's going on.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
the diode is placed at the very end of the circuit. (just before the output) and it's a 1n4004 (if I see it correctly). Of course the easy solution is to buy it online, but for the sake of tinkering, I'd like to know what's going on.
That's not a zener diode. Looks like the rectifier diode of the transformer. Is that correct? What else is connected to the diodes cathode? Capacitors etc. What is the routers power consumption?

ihateCaptcha

Joined May 10, 2010
you are right, it's not a zener. I can barely make out what's going on because the components are filled with that white goo, to keep em' in place i guess. 2 caps are connected to it.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Ok this IS probably a zener. See also the component name (ZD1). Do you still have the original one?

It then cannot be the 1N4004.

If you want to know why it gets damaged and what it is for you will need to draw that part of the schematic diagram.

Somewhere there should be a resistor in series with it...

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
The second one is this
http://www.12vadapters.com/adapter/power-supply/12v/1-25-amp-125a-2.html
but it's 1.5 amps. Can I still use it ?
It advertises "for any device that requires stable DC power. ", so I guess it is also a switched mode power supply (as yours probably is, it has a ferrite core transformer).

Just compare the polarity of the connector you have and the one you want to buy. The one on the website has the + pole inside. Also it's dimensions.