110 volt 1200 watt appliance used in Europe...

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
I am on holiday in the US at the moment...Omaha, Nebraska to be exact.

Just ordered a Coffee Kettle with the following spects...
  • Power: 1200W, 120V~, 50/60Hz, 9A

I really don't want to guess my way out of this, and accidentally blow up a 150 dollar appliance.

What would be the right converter to buy, when I want to use this in a country with 220/230 volt?

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
Unless you particularly need mains isolation - an autotransformer should be more compact and lighter. A 110V device gets the feed current through the top section of winding *AND* transformed current from the bottom section.
It just have to be safe to use, so I don't damage the appliance.

Or maybe there is a DIY option somewhere here?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It just have to be safe to use, so I don't damage the appliance.

Or maybe there is a DIY option somewhere here?
Transformer is a DIY?o_O

If it is like many N.A. kitchen appliances, there is no need for a ground conductor also if it has a 2pin plug.
Do you have a grounded service where you live?
Max.

Vakse Viggo

Joined Jun 15, 2017
Transformer is a DIY?o_O

If it is like many N.A. kitchen appliances, there is no need for a ground conductor also if it has a 2pin plug.
Max.
I can see on the unboxing videos that it has got a ground, but would think that it does not matter. Yes...I have ground service where I live.

If you live in a country with 50 Hz, then get a 50 Hz or 50/60 Hz xformer. 50 Hz needs more iron than a transformer designed for 60 Hz.

Yes...I have ground service where I live.
Ground is "protective ground". It provides an exposed metal path to ground (typically for stuff that goes astray inside the unit). It also puts the exposed metal at the same potential of the grounded stove or grounded water faucet.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I can see on the unboxing videos that it has got a ground, but would think that it does not matter. Yes...I have ground service where I live.
If you have a grounded socket where you live.
You just need to re-reference one of the secondary connections on a 120v secondary of a 240/120v transformer if using this method.
IOW at the secondary side, select one of the terminals and connect it to the earth wire conductor that goes back to the AC wall socket.
Max.

JMW

Joined Nov 21, 2011
I am on holiday in the US at the moment...Omaha, Nebraska to be exact.

Just ordered a Coffee Kettle with the following spects...
  • Power: 1200W, 120V~, 50/60Hz, 9A

I really don't want to guess my way out of this, and accidentally blow up a 150 dollar appliance.

What would be the right converter to buy, when I want to use this in a country with 220/230 volt?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Transformer is a DIY?o_O

Max.
RS components used to do transformer kits: off the shelf primary bobbins and empty secondary bobbins to fill yourself. Probably not that big though.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
When I lived in Italy I got a great deal on a standard US 18 cubic foot refrigerator from a GI returning to the US. Transformers for 220 - 240 to 110 - 120 Volts were common in any European hardware store. Running the 60 Hz compressor on the 50 Hz was never a problem as after 3 years I sold the refrigerator when I returned to the US. Anyway, I would do as Max suggested and just buy a transformer rated at 1.5 KVA. They are very common throughout Europe at any hardware or home improvement store and many even offer secondary taps.

Ron