10v to 12v

ChevyLT1Camaro94

Joined Jan 9, 2009
and when theres a resistor that has a lead going into the center of it what does that mean? like here

and where do the +12v and ground connect? and what is the box on the top right with the circles in it? and what is IC3A exactly? im sorry im very inexperienced with this, i can assemble circuits but im not positive how to read some schematic items and whatnot thank you for understaning

and so i would have to connect the reset to out 10 then im guessing? to add a pause after the 222 so it would be 111-222-111-222-etc?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
and when theres a resistor that has a lead going into the center of it what does that mean? like here
That is a potentiometer (aka pot) wired as a rheostat. It's a variable resistor.

and where do the +12v and ground connect?
+12v from the vehicle's accessory circuit. Vdd is +12v.
Ground to the battery - terminal, or to the vehicle's frame. Vss is ground.
and what is the box on the top right with the circles in it?
It's a terminal strip.
and what is IC3A exactly?
It is a CD4093B quad NAND gate. A 555 timer circuit could be substituted.
im sorry im very inexperienced with this, i can assemble circuits but im not positive how to read some schematic items and whatnot.
It will help you to review circuit symbols. It can be a challenge for "n00bs" to get familiar with them.

and so i would have to connect the reset to out 10 then im guessing? to add a pause after the 222 so it would be 111-222-111-222-etc?
No, this flashers' pattern goes 1-1-12-2-21-1-12-2-2 etc, where the '-' is a pause (all outputs off). The 1-1-12-2-2 uses up the entire 10-count of the Johnson counter (the 4017). When the 4017 reaches the 10 count and receives another clock pulse, it starts over from the beginning.

ChevyLT1Camaro94

Joined Jan 9, 2009
how could i make it do what i want where it would be 3 flashes immediately after eachother, pause breifly, and then flash the other 3 times and pause breifly

Last edited:

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
i still do not fully understand the need for 12v if you want to power led's from radioshack. 3 3v led's in series with a small resistor will work fine off of the 10v you measured.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
i have strips that are prewired for 12v and will not work with only 10
ok, the just use a fet as the last output drive stage, then you can drive the led strips at whatever voltage you want. the 10v out from the flasher you have will drive the gate of the fet. depending on the 10v output stage you may need a pull-up and/or pull-down resistor.

keep it simple. a few discrete devices can get 'er done.