10th order filter

Ric Pompey

Joined Mar 8, 2012
Hello. I have a project that i have to design that entails using a selector switch to select one of eight different frequencies between 2970HZ and 4950HZ. These frequencies, when selected, must pass through a 10th order filters.
My question is can someone recommend an IC ( chip) that will reduce my parts count and allow me to achieve 10th order filtration when one of the eight frequencies is selected.

Thank you,
Ric Pompey

Ric Pompey

Joined Mar 8, 2012
It has to be a highly selective filter so that when one of the eight freqencies is selected via some kind of selector switch or dial only that freqency will pass through. The requirement for my application is that the filtration must be 10th order. It is posible that a may need eight different 10th order filters each one configured to pass one of the eight different frequencies.

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
A 10th order filter is almost impossible to make with discrete parts, and it will not be tunable. I suggest that you square up the waveform and drive it into a DSP where 10th order adjustable filters are an every day project.

Ric Pompey

Joined Mar 8, 2012
I work in the train control industry. In this industry, train detection is achieved along the rail using track ckts. These track ckts. Consist of the modulation of eight different audio frequencies and are rotated in such a way that no frequency that is the same will be adjacent ( this is how frequency separation is achieved as they are modulated onto the track). This transmitted signal is is sent onto tracks to impedance bonds that block 750vdc used for traction power but pass the frequency of that particular track ckt. At the other end of the impedance bond, there is another bond that passes the frequency in question to a rcvr which filters and demodulates the signal. The filtration within these rcvrs has to be 10th order for safety consideration.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you really need a 10th order bandpass function (which seems overkill to me) then that would require a large amount of analog circuitry (7 to 10 op amps per frequency -- see the free FilterPro software from Texas Instruments).

It may be preferable to go with digital filters using an A/D converter to convert the signal to digital format and a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) to perform the filter function. Generation of the program for that requires a fair amount of DSP programming expertise, of course.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just saying "I need a 10th order filter" is really quite vague.
You say you need a bandpass filter, but not how wide the filter must be (passband), nor the stopband frequency and depth, is group delay important, how much ripple in the passband is allowed, nor what generic type of filter.

Ric Pompey

Joined Mar 8, 2012
Yes, it does sound like over kill, however, it is the transportation industry. We move people. It is an enviornment where the words fail safe and redundancy checks rule. Thank you for your tips.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Do you have any performance requirements other than it should be a 10th order filter (since that is a design requirement, not a performance requirement)?

Last edited: