100ma analog ammeter violent at in rush

crumpter

Joined Feb 2, 2013
Hello all,
Newbie here. I am working on a project that requires an analog ammeter to monitor the current draw on a dc motor. The 100 mA DC meter is fine when the motor is running at any of its controlled speeds, typically reading about 10-12 mA, but chatters violently during the in rush at start up, and also when powering down.
Is this the nature of the beast when monitoring these levels, or is there something I can do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Crumpter

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Starting current of your motor will be much higher than normal running current. If you load the motor, current will go up. Do you know the internal resistance of your meter?

crumpter

Joined Feb 2, 2013
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I don't know the internal resistance. It's a cheapo Hopesun panel meter #AIM60100. It just doesn't look like it will withstand too many power cycles like this. Is there a way to dampen its response?

Thanks Again

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
You could place a large cap in parallel with the terminals. Be sure to observe polarity on any electrolytic cap you use. Also be aware that it will slow ALL responses to current changes.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I use 2200uF but most of the meters were 2A or 5A types.

A 100mA meter could use a smaller cap in the 100uF-470uF range, depending how much you want to damp those peak movements.