100!

tgotwalt1158

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Hi guys!
One of my friends gave me 100$ bill. Now, I have doubt that the bill may be counterfeit. Plz could any body tell me the easiest way to check the hundred dollar US bill whether genuine or counterfeit? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Take it to a bank and ask them to check it?
Or search for security features of $100 bill and compare, a UV light could be useful.
Your next post will also be #100 if it isn't in off topic.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Look through the bill in light. You should see a strip of paper embedded in the bill's paper (very narrow) that says $100 over and over. This is an scheme to fight counterfeits.

Modern counterfeiters wash the ink out of $5, and reprint it as $100. This is to get the strip, which says $5. It is so small it is easy to miss however, many people only look for the strip itself.

http://inutiles.wordpress.com/2007/07/24/fake-100-bills-and-how-to-spot-them/

There is a new $100 in the works to make it even harder to counterfeit.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Also look for the other watermark, of the president's picture. There's also some fancy mathematical thing I know about, but I'm not sure if it's only for 20s or if it's for all of them....

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If it goes thru, it's genuine. If it doesn't you'll know...
Not necessarily. Back in the late 70s I cashed my U.S. Government paycheck at the local Italian bank. I was given two, 100,000 lire notes that were counterfeit. Those two notes plus a 50,000 lire note was used to pay my rent. A few weeks later, my landlord told me those 100,000 notes were counterfeit ... but not to worry, he passed them to someone else. :)

Imagine that, the bank was passing phoney money. LOL.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
A few years ago you could buy felt-tip markers which were supposedly effective at helping detect funny money. You would run the marker accross the currency note, leaving a line that would be one color if the cash was genuine, and another color if it was a forgery, supposedly because the ink and paper used in the real thing produce a unique photo-chemical reaction with the ink used in those checkers.

It wouldn't surprise me though, if the Hong Kong or North Korean "super dollar" forgers have long since found away to defeat such marker pens, by fine-tuning the chemical signature of their illegal product.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
A few years ago you could buy felt-tip markers which were supposedly effective at helping detect funny money. You would run the marker accross the currency note, leaving a line that would be one color if the cash was genuine, and another color if it was a forgery, supposedly because the ink and paper used in the real thing produce a unique photo-chemical reaction with the ink used in those checkers.

It wouldn't surprise me though, if the Hong Kong or North Korean "super dollar" forgers have long since found away to defeat such marker pens, by fine-tuning the chemical signature of their illegal product.
When I worked at Kmart a few months ago, we still had those pens. They're supposedly still effective. I suggest you take the bill to a store and just ask them to check it with one of those pens. Mind you it's usually the big chains that have the markers, so a small-town grocery store might not. Also, if there are registers elsewhere in the store (that are not at the front end), they may be the best places to ask. There probably won't be as many people in line, and the cashier may be more willing to help you. ;)

Der Strom

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hi guys!
One of my girl friends gave me 100$ bill on my last birth day commenting "This is as pure as my love", with a wicked smile. Now, I have doubt that the bill may be counterfeit. Plz could any body tell me the easiest way to check the hundred dollar US bill whether genuine or counterfeit? Many thanks in advance.
why bother, give it to her and ask her to buy you something. If your not with her anymore, think of her wicked smile as you pass it to a hooker (as a gift from her of course).

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hi guys!
One of my girl friends gave me 100$ bill on my last birth day commenting "This is as pure as my love", with a wicked smile. Now, I have doubt that the bill may be counterfeit. Plz could any body tell me the easiest way to check the hundred dollar US bill whether genuine or counterfeit? Many thanks in advance.
If the $100 bill is of the latest design all you should need is a strong UV light source. You should be able to see a stripe that runs from the upper edge of the bill to the lower edge of the bill when you expose the bill to the UV light source.

hgmjr

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009

They have started getting five dollar bills, and washing away the ink, then reprinting on them. As it's still the US Dollar paper, the pen would just tell you that the paper is okay.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I just saw a video (source unknown or I would link it) concerning "super forgeries" that pass just about all of the standard checks. Embedded red & blue and denotation threads, watermark, magnetic ink, damn near perfect.

Tiny mismatch in the N in Hundred I believe, and the color changing ink changes to the wrong color. Took a human to spot it, no machine could.

Bills so good it would take state sponsored backing to make them. North Korea was named as one of the usual suspects.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I do know that real bills use a type of ink with iron in it, so it is slightly attracted to a magnet. If you hold a magnet about a quarter of an inch from the bill, you will see it pulled towards it. However, it wouldn't do you much good if it's written on an old $5 bill....